Is this a rude question to ask a breeder?

skinnypath

I am soon to be a first-time puppy parent. I've worked hard to find a breeder I love, and I think I've found the one. Both Dam and Sire come from very loving, very attentive families.

My only hesitation is they are asking quite a bit more than any other breeder in my area, 25% greater than the median and double that of multiple other nearby breeders for the same breed. The pups aren't even due for a couple weeks, and I believe I'm the first person to show this much interest. The breeder expressed their pricing is based on last year's "pandemic surge," and most of their pups were adopted quickly out across the U.S. when she was able to list them on the AKC website.

Before placing my deposit I'm considering asking the breeder if she later needs to drop the asking price for the rest of the litter, would she be willing to do the same for me? Would any of you find that question rude, or would you understand I'm just hoping to adopt on the same terms as the rest of the litter?

Additionally, would any you suggest any uncommon questions about an expensive litter?

@skinnypath You can try, but unless the bulk of the litter (which I doubt) is struggling to sell, it's not something that's ordinarily done - individual puppies are usually discounted as they get older by BYBs, but I don't think run into a non-BYB that price-reduces.

@skinnypath I'm not a breeder yet so make sure to take others advice as well, but I see this as reasonable.

You're expressing interest in a puppy for the given price, so if the price of the litter goes down I would also want to pay the price others are paying.

Asking for a lower price would be rude but asking to pay the same price as others sounds very reasonable.

@skinnypath This is a tricky one. I am breeding for years but last years demand for pups is definitely gone. Most of the breeders I know (good solid people, not bybreeders) still have pups that are now 9-12 weeks old and they have a hard time placing them. This compared to last year when they could ask any price they wanted and still sell the pups.

This is due to the fact that people are planning to travel finally and don't want to be stuck at home with a new pup. It's been super slow this summer. I'm glad I don't have pups.

I assume things will get a bit better in fall/winter.

So I'm not sure what to advice you but I would personally wait a bit. I'm not sure where you are but look also on gooddog.com It's a site that pre vets breeders. You'll find solid people that do their due diligence when it comes to testing etc.

@skinnypath Ima breeder and Ive been asked to come down on my price. I didn’t take it as rude but no way will I drop my price just because I’m asked.

No I would not refund money if the price of the puppies came down.

@skinnypath It’s all about the bloodline and the popularity of the kennel that your looking to buy a dog from. If it’s makes sense it’s like brands at the grocery store the more popular brands cost more and usually are a better product or last longer. No question is ever bad it’s just the wording of a question. If they understand your a first time puppy parent they usually don’t trip on any questions.

@skinnypath If you buy an item from the store and the price goes down later, do you go back and ask for a refund?

If you are happy with the breeder, and happy with the price you are paying (what she is asking), then just buy the puppy and don't worry about what other puppies are going for.

Back