Is she defending me or is she aggressive/reactive? 2y/o gsd

lamer123

I may end up cross posting in other dog subreddits. I tried in a trainers only FB group and got no responses.

About three months ago I took in a stray unaltered female gsd mix (I think she's mixed with heeler, she has some mannerisms and those adorable freckled feets) and she's been living with me and my little pomeranian ever since. I named her Rosie, she's approximately 2, very smart and such a sweet girl. After a month of looking for her family and another month and a half trying to find her a home, I decided that I would keep her since she fits into my life so well. There's no separation anxiety when I leave, she's amazing on a leash until she sees a ground squirrel, knows her basic commands, no resource guarding, was an angel at the vet and groomer, she doesn't even get in my trash.

There's only one huge problem: she hates other dogs.

She's fine with my pom which is amazing to me because my pom, Coconut, is 12y/o and 9lbs and she acts like it; grumpy, needs her space, needs to be handled with care. There have been a few disagreements between Rosie and Coconut, figuring out who's in charge and who I love more (Rosie is already very bonded to me and protective of me) but it's all talk. They will play, as much as a 65lb dog can play with a 9lb dog, but mostly they leave each other alone. Rosie has even let Coconut push her off her food- though I stop this behavior every time it happens.

The issue seems to be with all other dogs. My parents have four dogs and we tried to introduce her to the most chill one. They were okay for a couple minutes, me with Rosie on the leash and the other dog just doing her thing nearby. The other dog was up on the front porch and they sniffed each other with no issue, but as soon as the other dog was on the same physical level, it was on. No one got hurt, but it definitely did not seem like play to me. No wagging tail, ears back, hackles up, snarling and snapping. We didn't even try with the other dogs.

The next time I tried to introduce her to a new dog was my best friend's husky who is very nonconfrontational. I thought it was going to go well, my friend's partner is a vet tech and he would be there, and we really took our time with it. I took Rosie to their house and we met them outside on the sidewalk. We started walking around the block without letting them get close enough to touch noses, trading places so I was leading for a while and then vice verse. We stopped at a park nearby and I handed Rosie's leash to my friend so I could pet the husky while Rosie watched. We traded leashes so Rosie watched me walk the other dog. We did all this before we even let them get close enough to touch noses. When we did, it was the same thing. Rosie lunged, snarled and snapped. I was fully in control of her, and as soon as they were a few feet apart again she calmed right down.

Am I doing this right?

Am I the problem? I have a feeling she's trying to protect me, but I don't know. When she was stray, she ran around with two males- a pb and a husky- so I know she can make friends.

Is it because she's intact? I'm waiting to get her spayed through my city's animal welfare program, will that make a difference?

Why is she good with Coconut but no other dogs? Like, there wasn't even an issue when I first brought her home.

I feel like both of us are going to miss out on so many fun times if she's unable to socialize. We can go to the lake alone, but it would be so much more fun with other dog friends. Obviously I'm always going to do what's best for her, including not letting her endanger anyone else. But she's so young and smart I'm hoping I can turn it around early.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!

@lamer123 No dog will protect you/ your property unless they are specifically bred for it (for example a fila brasileiro) or specifically trained for it. She might treat you as a resource, she might be dog selective, hard to say without seeing how she acts, but she’s definitely not protecting you. I would recommend contacting a good trainer, working on obedience and not forcing her into interactions with other dogs - without finding the root of the issue and working on it with a professional it will probably make it worse.

Gsds also often experience issues like that when they are not given enough mental or physical stimulation. They are not easy, lazy dogs, even the show line usually needs to work, have clear set boundaries and feel like they can rely on their owner. My working line gsd used to bark at other dogs after being rushed by an off-lead border collie. What helped? Getting her into obedience, scent tracking and protection work, establishing clear boundaries, teaching eye contact and making decisions in hard situations before she can make one. Never screamed at her, never used any tools on her - just a regular flat collar and a leash, never forced her into an interaction and in half a year she learnt that being with me is more safe and valuable than threatening other dogs.

@slipknot0129 Do you think it's a good idea to start practicing dog training with her? I've always been interested in learning how, but I really don't want to do anything to make the situation worse.

@lamer123 I do think so. Finding a good trainer would be the first step. If you don’t have the funds right now, I can gladly send you some instructions on teaching simple tricks. They are not that useful, but I think a little fun training session every day can only benefit your dog.

@lamer123 She is not “protecting” you, she is “dog selective”. Which is completely normal. Most dogs have some dogs they like or at least tolerate and others that they do not. Same as humans - there are plenty of people I don’t like, some I tolerate, and a few that I like.

Getting her spayed probably won’t change her dog sociability. Just allow her space from other dogs and don’t force the issue.

@lamer123 She's on leash when she's reactive? At home with your other dog, she's not leashed so can give herself space if needed. I think many dogs act reactive on leash because in their mind they have no other options when they feel uncomfortable.