Is my dog suffering? Are we doing right by euthanizing him tomorrow?

inmoments

Sorry if this doesn't belong here. I'm not sure so I'm posting this in multiple places, as this is a matter of hours.

Our dog is going to be put down tomorrow. He is a shetland sheepdog and would be turning 10 next week.

About half a year ago he had an epileptic seizure, about 1-2 minutes or so. We had never seen him have one before. The vet told us to watch and see if it happens again. For a long time we didn't notice any seizures, until a few weeks ago. Within 2-3 weeks we noticed about 4 short epileptic seizures. One of those occurred shortly after we got epilepsy medication for him, after which there has been nothing. This Monday he got diagnosed with brain tumor. They recommended to euthanize him asap.

Lately he has seemed noticeably more tired than usual; on walks he walks slowly and keeps stopping, he spends more time lying down and plays less. If he is lying down, he often doesn't come to greet whoever comes home anymore.

But he still has moments of energy every day. When there's a promise of treats he comes rushing, when leaving for a walk he trots around and barks. He scrapes the door and growls to be let outside, he goes to roll around in the snow and eat it.

To me, he still seems like a happy dog. Noticeably more tired, but... too healthy to put him down.

So I guess I just want reassuring that this is best for him. We weren't told what his life expectancy would be. I wasn't there at the MRI so I don't know much. We got the pictures from of the MRI but of course I can't tell what they show, and neither could my parents even though the doctor apparently explained it to them. The report isn't in english so here's what (I think) I can translate from the report:

"Large brain tumor in the left frontal lobe, up to the border of the nasal cavity. Maximum dimensions 2,5 x 2 x 3cm. Accentuated throughout with a contrast agent, except for a few small necrotic spots within the tumor. Moves the center line to the right. Otherwise normal structures. Diagnosis: malignant brain tumor, e.g. glioblastoma."

In addition to this, he has heart problems, diagnosed a year or so ago. Endocardiosis/MMVD I think.

Please tell me we are doing the right thing. Is he suffering? What are the brain tumor and endocardiosis making him feel? Does he sense he's dying? I look at him roll around in the snow and bark at passersby in the yard and I just can't believe we need to do this. I feel this horrible doubt rising that this might be unnecessary.

@inmoments The advice I was given a long time ago and has held true every time is 'better to be a week early than a day too late.'

You're doing the hardest thing there is, but know that you are doing the right thing. Don't let your pup suffer. They don't understand what's going on so it's just pain. It will be harder on you. Give him a good farewell. I'm sorry.

@inmoments We had to do the same thing with our Aussie a few years back. Seizure then in doggy hospital then back home. Vet said the seizures would become more frequent.

You love them and dont want to see them go, but you dont want them to be in pain.

If the vet says its time, you are doing the right thing for your friend.

Good luck and God bless.

@jmzr Thank you for the reply❤ Reading these all last night was reassuring. It's been done now. I just hope he wasn't scared during his last moments, we tried to show him as much affection as possible.

@inmoments No one wants to tell you this, mostly because we're not vets and we don't know anything about you or your dog, except what you've shared here. The doubt you're feeling is perfectly normal and any of us who has been through what you're going through right now has felt the same thing. I know you want as long as you can get with your dog, but you also need to think about him. It's not a bright future for him. Your vet is probably right.

Brain tumors can cause all sorts of issues, from seizures to blindness to agonizing pain. It can cause behavioral issues, and possibly impact the nervous system in various ways. If it's growing (and it sounds like it is), it's going to get worse... possibly quickly. No one can tell you what the dog is feeling right now. There's a good chance he knows he's not feeling well, but I don't think dogs experience life or impending death on the same terms as people.

Endocardiosis is probably why you're seeing that tiredness. It's the same thing you see in people with congestive heart failure... periods of low energy and quickly wiped out by exertion. This could potentially be treated, depending on how advanced it is, but the treatment can be expensive and with the malignant brain tumor, it would probably not extend or improve his life.

You don't have to do anything immediately, but consider whether you're prolonging the dog's life for you or for him. It's a hard choice, but it's almost always the right one.

@starluv Thank you for taking the time to reply. I've been thinking about all of these for the entirety of today.❤ And it's comforting to know my doubt is not an unusual feeling. He has gone now. I believe now we did the right thing.