Is it possible my puppy is overstimulated by the tv?

1corithians13

Hi there!

Just got a new pup and he is 13 weeks old cavalier 😘 absolutely adorable.

At night time he gets really worked up and bitey. Nothing works to stop him. It's like a few hours of chaos until we go to bed. At first we thought, a) overtired v) excited by both of us home c) teething. Did all the tricks like ignoring, correcting to toys, frozen chews, etc. But tonight for the first night, instead of watching noisy boring tv crap, I put on "relaxing dog music" and my pup has totally crashed. Like he is sleeping on my lap rn. Could all the biting be from tv noise arousal???? Just wondering if we need to re-think our tv watching and also want to know others advice!

P.s. I love reading everyone's stories with their pups.

X

@1corithians13 That time of day is the normal puppy witching hour, when it’s their bedtime or almost their bedtime and they’re crazy over tired so lose all the behavioral boundaries they have learned. If puppy sounds works for you dog that’s great, but you could also try enforcing a nap or giving them a high value chew during this time as well

@1corithians13 It’s so funny how so many of them do it! Ours had a really wild witching hour between about 8pm and 10pm between 12 and 16-17 weeks. I know others have it until much older haha. We would generally ignore her until she was able to sit still and then just stay with her calmly until she realised she was sleepy and she’d take a nap. Daytime enforced crate naps I think helped because at around 16 weeks she started SPRINTING into her crate for a little time out (on her own) once her witching out started. It was precious. Little girl learning that she was actually just sleepy.

@1corithians13 Ah yes the fabled "Puppy Witching Hour"

I didn't know this was a thing until my 4th dog, and she's a real demon after 8 pm. Running wild and biting like a rabid fox. We resorted to enforcing a calm period by giving her something to chew, but we also have 3 other adult dogs that help calm her because by 8 pm those guys are ready to comatose all night.

@1corithians13 I call it his evening zoomies. During my first month with my puppy it could be especially bad while I was still trying to train him out of biting. This was normally while we'd watch tv and we suspected that he sometimes got jealous he wasn't the center of attention while also being overtired. On one night he was an absolute nutcase for an hour straight.

He was running around like a madman - stealing shoes and items he wasn't supposed to have, jumping on everyone, barking, and no toys would calm him. He eventually just chomped down on my calf like a shark and I let out a yelp so loud he was stunned. 5 minutes later he had burned himself out and just crashed in my lap. An angel the rest of the night.

The music might help calm him and I'd also recommend a special toy. I've used a water bottle filled with treats with a small hole cut out. He goes nuts rolling and crinkling it and it provides enough mental stimulation and fun that he'll tire himself out safely. A toilet paper tube filled with treats and rolled shut is another easy one to make.

It sometimes helps if I sit on the floor so he can come sit in my lap while he plays with a toy because it calms him down. He's more likely to pay attention to his toys once he actually stops moving and he's very happy just being pet and/or getting his cuddle time in.

@1corithians13 My pup also gets a bit demonic an hour or 2 before bed. If she gets too hyper and starts biting and barking she goes into her crate for a five minute time out to calm down. Although we normally find she is fast asleep by the time we go to let her out.

@alidog We don't have a "crate" per sé but we have a gated area. However it isn't very dark or quiet.... So I think we might need to think about a crate. Thank u!

@1corithians13 Honestly I would say it’s because you have a 13 week old puppy, not because of the television. The television may not help the situation. When my puppy was that little he did better if we did quiet time before actual bed time. He would have about an hour in his crate, covered. I would dim the lights and turn on his fan. It did help him settle a bit, but it took a couple months for him to really associate that calm down period with bed time. He sleeps in his pen with the open door crate option, and he does prefer quiet. But what you’re experiencing is just puppy behavior. Just keep working on it and it will eventually even out. Unfortunately there’s no universal time line for it.