Is it ok to pick up a GSD puppy at 6 weeks rather than 8?

christina777

Hey guys I’m on my way to adopting a little pupper and was expecting to pick her up on the 29th of this month (8 weeks after she was born) but the owner has suggested we pick her up on the 16th (two weeks early), I’m more than happy too, but am unsure whether this will have an effect on the little doggo. Any advice?

@christina777 I will definitely have an effect on your puppy. Ideally they should remain with their mother and siblings until about 12 weeks. They learn a lot of social skills from them at that age that will help you raise a much more confident and well rounded dog. A confident dog is much easier to train and less likely to be aggressive out of fear.

@christina777 The sibling and mother environment is always ideal, but if those dogs are well rounded and confident, then it should be a close 2nd. I had a Little baby Chihuahua fall in my lap at 5 weeks. I let my GSD and Border Collie raise him and he is the most confident/least yappy little Chihuahua I’ve ever met!

@christina777 I would be extremely concerned about your choice of breeder. Any reliable breeder wouldn’t let a puppy go early. A day or two for convenience is one thing but 2 weeks is huge in a puppy’s life. They need that time for socializing and normal development. If you were getting one from a shelter or off the street that would be one thing. It’s still better for those puppies to stay with siblings and moms but desperately situations might make it worth it. No responsible breeder would give puppies at 6 weeks.
Also since it is a family dog that worries me even more. If the family is so irresponsible/cheap that they won’t spay/neuter they probably aren’t taking as good care of puppies and mom as they should. Be very careful. This sounds super fishy and I wouldn’t trust it.

@christina777 No, puppies shouldn’t be separated before 8 weeks, it can have negative affects throughout their lifetime. Also, as others have said, I’d be strongly considering not getting your puppy from a backyard breeder. Your pup may be prone to hip/elbow dysplasia if the parent dogs have not had their hip and elbows examined and scored.

@christina777 I got my girl at 6 weeks and she's 6 months now. She's definitely a little more sensitive than the average pup, but overall a great girl who's well socialized to people, other dogs, and cats. Taking her to twice weekly puppy socialization classes as soon as she got her shots was invaluable in helping her build confidence.

@christina777 Don't buy the dog!!!! Find a reputable breeder where you know what you're getting and the puppies have been properly cared for. This is definitely one to walk away from. Sorry...but not a good situation. [retired breeder here] WOOF!

@erniedavid Thanks for you insight! But after meeting the mum, dad and a first born from the first litter, all seems well, I’ve even asked the vet that’s been looking after them and all looks good. That being said I’m no professional. Would a picture help?

@christina777 Picture wouldn't really help. Do you know what to look for in a puppy? I mean, is this your first GSD? These people are the quintessential "backyard breeder" as this is not an accidental breeding, as there is a "first litter".

They are in it for the $$$$, which is why they want the pups outta there ASAP. No reputable breeder would do that. Go to the parent club website gsdca.org and read the links, especially about breeders. I know you're going to do what you're going to do, but I still say RUN, don't walk, away from this deal. Good luck. :) WOOF!