Is it hip dysplasia or DM or something else? Please any advice…

david9873

My baby (1.8 yr old GSD) will be getting x rayed this Friday. He has had this weird back legs lameness as a puppy. So 2 months old. We were concerned but were told that we’d have to wait til he’s older to check. Well it’s been over a year and some change and his hind legs lameness has remained. He already deals with dog reactivity and general anxiety but we have limited exercises we can do due to his legs. He can’t go over 10 mins of running/ playing ball/ anything that uses his legs too much because it tires him out completely. To the point his back legs become weak and unsteady. I’m just hoping it’s not DM or anything worse. Anything helps! Thanks

@nightvision I believe they had healthy test results. No DM in the parents and their hips were healthy, I believe they got either a fair or a good. I’ll explain his lameness a bit clearer, it’s almost as he drags his back legs? It’s usually the right one but sometimes it’ll be the left. Never both at the same time. Like imagine someone dragging their shoes, that’s how he walks and always has.

@david9873 I’ve seen similar problems before. That could possibly be a problem with the spinal discs compressing the spinal cord. There are also issues with the transitional vertebrae between the lumbar and the sacral region that can cause spinal compression. The transitional vertebrae weren’t certified often until recently so may have gone unnoticed in your puppy’s ancestors. That’s something you might want to read up on.

@erniedavid Yeah Ik… I literally said he’s getting x rayed on Friday, so in 2 days…look I just want to prepare for the worse possible answer or get any possible feedback. Sometimes knowing someone that has gone through it or is going through it makes it a bit easier to deal with