Is a GSD right for me?

kanoruo

Please don’t drag me if any of the questions below seem ignorant or insensitive.

We live in a rural area on five acres with a low traffic road. I have an indoor labradoodle and an outdoor rescue that seems to have some GSD in him. He’s a great family dog and does a great job looking scary although he doesn’t have an aggressive bone in his body. He’s getting up in years. When he was little we trained him with a perimeter fence and we haven’t had it active in five or six years but he never leaves the perimeter.

It will be time to add a puppy to the outside before too long and I’d like feedback on the breed.
  1. We have two boys under 8. As they get older they’ll be free to go play in our creek, wade up and downstream, go to the neighbors woods, etc. Ideally we’d have a dog that’s home-centered and wants to stay close but will go with them when they go.
  2. I’m in the ozarks so winters are pretty tolerable, but my outside dog has a bed in the garage with a heat lamp.
  3. We have chickens which was a problem with my outside dog for a while but we got him to leave them alone and now he’s protective of them.
  4. I have a large fenced in area that’s a “back yard” with our play equipment, pool and such. Labradoodle has free run of it through a dog door. This would be a “front yard” dog that isn’t contained (except by underground fence if necessary).
Any feedback would be appreciated.

@kanoruo GSD might not be your best option. They really like to be by their people (touching) at all times. Many have a very high prey drive, so that might cause issues with the chickens. They are not the type of dog that does well just being left outside. They need both mental and physical stimulation. If they don't get that, they become destructive and get themselves into trouble.

@johncarlo This. We had GSD that were fine with chickens but they love being around their people. let the dogs have free run inside and outside. They'll still be good guard dogs. But don't deprive them the joy of being near you. This really goes for any dog I'm familiar with.

@johncarlo I agree, my 2 Shepherds are very affectionate and thrive being in my presence. Apparently they just lay around half bored or depressed most of the day when I am at work according to my gf. As soon as I get home they come alive with energy. I spend every minute I am home with both of them by my side.

@kanoruo A GSD is not a strictly outdoor dog. They want and need to be with their people. The comment about never going to the bathroom by yourself is just one example of these dogs wanting to be close to their person.

You can train a puppy to be a great dog who will love your family but, and it is a big but, you will need to do a lot of work with the puppy to train and keep his mind involved with what you want him to learn. Left to their own devices and they can destroy whatever they put in their mouth. The puppy stage takes a lot of your time and energy training and keeping the dog occupied with a job to do. This took 2 years for my dog to really become a good adult dog and I worked with him and even got my son with more GSD experience to work with him and I used a trainer as well.

These are wonderful and amazing dogs but they are work, a lot of work when young and they need and want to have a job as an adult.

@aub The first time you see them start to behave like an adult dog is an awakening. I vividly remember saying to myself, "finally" when my boy began to settle down around 2.5 years old. He is almost 5 now and still has plenty of energy but he will give it a break when I yell him to take a break. His inside switch is fully functional now as well with the occasional bringing me his stuffed animal to toss.

@kanoruo If you want privacy in the bathroom.. then a GSD is not for you.....

You'll never be alone on the throne again....

You will have one of the best friends you can get in this lifetime though...

@melissaf77 Oh yeah I’m totally not against working/livestock guardian dogs but I don’t think a GSD is what OP needs. I’m a little concerned about their expectations of seemingly just having a puppy outside from day one as well, especially with an invisible fence.

@kanoruo GSD is not so good as outdoor dogs because they have the desire to be with their people all times. They need mental stimulation, they were bred to work together with a human - if they cannot do that, many get destructive, "depressive", or even reactive/aggressive.

There are other dog breeds that were bred to be outdoors, such as livestock guardians, though I would only recommend those to very experienced owners. Many sled dog breeds were also bred to be outdoors most of their time. I know someone who has a malamute outdoors; though I have to say, those dogs also need a lot of "workout" every day/need to be moving.

But a GSD that cannot be with their family - I really would not recommend that. They really want to communicate with their people and use their brains, not be "passive" property guardians.

@kanoruo My dog would be absolutely bored out of her mind and lonely as hell if she lived outside. True she grew up inside and has always known that life, but she doesn't like to be left alone in the backyard and she doesn't entertain herself at all. It's my job to entertain her, unfortunately 😅 These dogs are so much work. They need mental stimulation, lots of training, and they want to be with their pack (people) at all times. My dog won't even bother with other dogs. She loves people, and especially loves me. You might wanna look at a different breed, or let your dog at least come inside for some time with you everyday.

@kanoruo Sounds like a perfect dog for ya, but remember, the temperament is different from individual dog to individual dog. We have brothers from the same litter, polar opposite personalities. One is sweet and one is energetic.

@kanoruo i would say a showline would be perfect for your family. just please choose an ethical breeder, the GSDCA website would be a good place to start or a facebook group called “Uncensored opinions of breeders”

@kanoruo As long a you do your research into the breeder and meet the pup and pup parents to get the right temperament, it could work for you. There are livestock guardian breeds that could work better than GSD, but that again depends on the individual dog's temperament.

We have 2 GSDs, my girl I would trust to guard outside, but she is too attached to me to want to be far from me. My boy is so shy he is a 100lb kitten, hiding behind me despite years of training and de-sentization.

@kanoruo I would be very sure to meet the parents of the puppy in order to get a better sense of what the personality of the puppies would be like. You might very well like to know if the parents chase everything they see since you have the chickens.

I appreciate the constructive feedback. To clarify I’ve never just set a puppy free in the front yard and hoped for the best. Probably could have done a better job explaining that. We spend a tremendous amount of time outside, day and night, do lots of hiking and canoeing on or around our property and our outside dog has no shortage of stimulation though he is alone when we aren’t home. I was somewhat nervous asking and looks like I got some downvotes to show for it, but I do appreciate the thought out responses both positive and negative.

@kanoruo May. If they live in a place where it is cold, I recommend the version with longer fur.

He says he spends a lot with you and gets the stimulation he needs. IF you teach him that he spends the night outside, but is with you during the day, then it can be solved, after all, for a real GSD, life is work, and guarding the territory is a night job.

Back