Introduction of a 1.5 yr old puppy to existing 2 yr old puppy

namredla

So I walked into an SPCA Mega-Adoption event and walked out with a beautiful Carolina Dog-mix male puppy of 1.5 years old. We already have a 2 yr old male Boxer at home, and we're looking to get them acclimated with each other. What type of tips or habits should I get them accustomed to during the process? What has worked best for you?

Thanks so much in advance for the feedback. Excited to have a new family member and want to make sure they get along great

@namredla Yeah!!! Happy furever home day.

My trainer recommended introducing new dogs on neutral ground and from some distance at first. Then maybe some parallel walking.

My two are weird in that if I just plop a strange dog off leash in the house or yard they're ok and instantly friendly. If that dog however walks into the yard on a leash all hell breaks loose. On walks they're super cool with any new dog anywhere.

(It goes without saying the only time I allow strange off leash dogs in my house or yard is with dogs I know and who the trainer vetted. Strange only as in mine haven't met them yet....We did all first introductions with my trainer present and most strange dogs were puppies who work with my trainer and she knew them well. I'm not randomly asking strangers and their dogs to be off leash around my babies.)