Introducing reactive dog to new pet sitter

sumeria

What is the proper way to introduce a reactive dog to a new pet sitter? We have two dogs (3 y.o. - cattle dog, pit, Australian shepherd and small percentages of other mixes and ~5 y.o. - pit mix) and have used the same pet sitter for 3 years. Her availability is becoming limited due to being short staffed so we need a backup person. One of my dogs barks/growls whenever someone is in our home (which causes the other dog to react) so I always keep them kenneled or separated from our guests by the backdoor with a baby gate. I NEVER leave them out to roam freely when we have guests out of fear. He was fine until he turned about 6 months and then he just seemed to hate people so I just didn't want to chance it. Both dogs are neutered. They do fine when boarded at the vet but they aren't mixed with the other dogs (as that's my preference).

@sumeria Best way is to meet in a place that your reactive dog won't protect ( your home , your backyard, or the park he always visits are "his" places). Make the dog wear a muzzle. Ignore the dog completely while chatting with the new sitter. Transfer the leash to the new sitter's hands and let them walk away from you and back a few times . Put your dog on sit . Give a treat . Let the sitter give your dog a few commands and let them give treats to the dog . So , basically your first walk will be on neutral grounds together with the new sitter. Then walk on opposite sides of the sidewalk, chatting and ignoring the dog . Give the leash to the sitter. Keep walking . It all depends on how quickly your dog will get used to the new sitter, might take a few times , be ready for a search for a third or a fourth person. Your dog may like someone from the first sight and some ppl won't be a good match at all .

@sumeria This will not help your case, but it is very important to socialize your dogs and teach them right from wrong socially at an early age. It is good for both you and your dogs becoming comfortable with day-to-day stuff.

What may help is having your regular pet sitter come over a few times with the new sitter and just hanging out. Maybe not even giving them a crazy amount of attention, because that can make them nervous. Just be casual, but make sure the dogs know what’s going on and what their faces look like and what their scents are.

EDIT: why not just board them at the vet since you mentioned that that’s your preference and that works best?

@jahpickney Thanks for the feedback. It's $106 a night to board two dogs. I need someone for evenings/days when my son has games. Short-term. We only utilize the vet when we're out of town. What I meant by my preference is that I prefer that my dogs stay together and not intermingle with other dogs when at the vet. I now realize I made a huge mistake by not properly socializing them, but in my defense I have never been a pet person (and how I became a pet owner is a little unique).

@sumeria I see! Usually dogs can hold their bladders pretty long. 6h normally, 8h at most, 12h sometimes if they’re larger dogs. They should be okay as long as they’re potty trained and don’t have bladder issues!!

If you are wanting them to be stimulated while you’re gone, enrichment toys and also classical music at a low volume, or tv in general will keep their brains going. YouTube has a pretty neat collection of “dog tv” that lasts for hours and has soothing sounds with nature videos!

Huge respect for becoming a pet owner despite your preferences!