Incurin + proin safe?

joelncl

Has anyone had a vet prescribe both for incontinence? I have seen online posts that both can be used at the same time as they work/target a dog’s body differently but I can’t find a vet that will do both.

Long summary

I have an 11 y/o German shepherd. She started leaking urine when would lay down about 3 years ago. Took her in for a lot of tests and the vet came back with “older fixed female dogs have this problem some times” and prescribed her proin.

The proin helped reduce the leaking but never fully stopped it. She gradually started leaking more over the last year. I had switched her to a new practice that was closer to home. They did their tests and came back with the same conclusion. They had me double he dosages of proin but it did not solve her leaking problem.

Then COVID hit, and her vet stopped seeing us in person. Through phone tag with his office, he gave us a prescription for incurin to try as well as refilled our proin prescription.

On both medications - not a single drop. You could see a positive change in the dog’s mood - perfect.

After a month, the vet office called and said they accidentally filled both prescriptions and that she should only be on the incurin. Two weeks later, she is back to leaking.

In talking to the vet office, they don’t put dogs are both - their policy not specific to my dog.

@joelncl My dog was on both proin and incurin for a while, then we weaned her to incurin only.

If your concern is whether it is safe to use both meds together, I can only speak from my experience but that was a vet-prescribed regimen that worked safely for my dog.

@gdoll18 Thank you. That is encouraging. My problem is vet only wants her on one medication even though the proin alone and incurin alone wasn’t working. No medical reasoning behind the decision other than “dogs can’t be on both.”

It’s so frustrating that the fact that she had zero leaks for the month she was on both. We have called several vets around the area (I know they would want to do their own tests) and they all seem to have an outright policy against prescribing both.

Back