Incidents

broken1989

Hi everyone, I’ve been feeling really down because in the last few months I’ve had a few pet incidents. I’ve been grooming for 6 months now but in the first 4 months I had no incidents. Now in the last two months I’ve had 4! I feel like an idiot because they’ve all been silly little mistakes:
  1. A dog sat down while I was scissoring her belly and I pinched her skin and made a tiny cut (barely bled at all but due to p&p had to take her to the vet
  2. When shaving inside of the ear I caught the little flap and cut it
  3. When scissoring a paw pad I accidentally pinched a toe and nicked it
  4. I did #2 again. I was being more careful but this time it was a little cavapoo who kept jumping randomly and she jumped while I was shaving her ear :( I’m just done shaving the inside of ears I guess
It’s just making me feel like a terrible groomer I can’t believe I went 4 months no accidents and know I keep nicking dogs. Everyone else in my salon is doing great and I feel awful. What can I do to keep from doing these dumb little mistakes? Everyone always says just slow down, but I’ve only ever nicked a dog when when things are slow and they’re one of my only dogs and I’m not rushing at all.

@broken1989 Don't beat yourself up. When I first started, some of my pets needed stitches. I've been grooming over 25 years now and today while shaving inside a schnauzers ear. he jumped, and I scratched it. It happens. As time goes on. it will not happen very often, if ever. It's hard being a new groomer!

@broken1989 Shit happens. We work with sharp tools on living things that won't sit still. It's only a matter of time but with enough time and experience it will happen less often and you can often minimize the damage. The first year and half or so are going to be the worst for you.

Take the time to process each incident. Examine what you did and what you could have done differently. Learn from each one so that you can be safer going forward.
  1. I only ever use scissors along the undercarriage during outline trims to trim the skirt. It's much safer to use a clip comb here for most things. #10 for the sani area. Be mindful of any skin flaps or ridges. Some dogs do not like having their sani trimmed or work in this area and tend to sit as a way to get you to stop. Some dogs just don't like to stand up or they fidget a lot. If you have a dog like that you need to adjust your approach, ie hold them up with one hand or use a clip comb. Be mindful of any physical limitations. Arthritis will be the most common but there are others. They might fidget or sit because of weak legs or they don't have full range of motion because it hurts due to the arthritis.
  2. That little flap inside the ear will get you every fucking time. I don't shave anywhere near it now. Be especially mindful if you have a dog that turns their head a lot.
  3. Never scissor across paw pads. Use a #10 blade for paw pads. For trimming paws turn the paw up and scissor the outer edge of the paw from behind so you can see the bottom of the paws. Much safer. Be mindful of the entire length of the shears from the point all the way back and know what they're going to close on. Don't get so caught up in what you're doing that you're not aware of what else those shears could close on. Like knuckles. Ears. Tongues. Don't angle the shears in towards the paw pads(bottom of shears close to paw pads, top of shears angled out) while scissoring from above. You can't see anything.
An important part of what we do is learning dog behavior and anticipating what they're going to do. Getting to know them and how they react. Learning to work safely and work around them. It never feels good when you hurt a dog. Learn from your mistakes and you will become a better, safer groomer.

@broken1989 Im just a bather but I just cut my first quick ever, on a 3 month old puppy. It’s HARD even moving past minor injuries. I don’t have advice, I just want to empathize. Sharp tools and wiggly bodies are tough :(

@broken1989 I kinda had a similar experience when learning. When I was brand new, I wasn't having accidents. Once I started to get more comfortable with grooming, I started to have some accidents. For me, I was learning new techniques from watching coworkers and demos, and I wasn't ready for certain techniques (or observed bad techniques). I also had some accidents due to the dogs behavior. I think apprentices are super careful at first because they're scared, but once you've done it so many times, you start to let your guard down a bit. I feel like this is a natural progression in learning for a lot of people.

For ears, don't shave the direction of growth (down), and don't let your blade glide off in a diagnal (part of the blade on the ear and part off). The teeth of the blade can catch the ear leather more easily this way. Position the blade parallel to the leather when shaving (kinda shaving the hair sideways instead of with or against). This is super hard to explain over text, but I'm trying lol. Maybe watch some videos on shaving ears.

For paws, your scissor should never be over pads. Create a mental square around the paw pads, and keep your scissors out of it. You should have your scissor positioned up when doing the sides of the paws, and the scissor should be placed horizontally when trimming above the paw pad. I only lift the paw when scissoring the underside and creating a bevel on round paws. I do all other trimming and shaping with them standing on it. Never use your scissors for hair between pads.

@broken1989 Seriously do not be so hard on yourself!! It happens especially for new groomers! I cut ears multiple times when i first started, and cut a puppies pad so bad it needed stitches :( we learn from our mistakes, it sucks in the moment but it makes us better. And i promise you the dogs already forgot about it lol

@broken1989 God I nicked a dog a handful of times and it literally made me go home and cry. Ear flaps and the little leg flaps, also had a dog that started humping my clippers whilst getting a Brazilian. You are not a bad groomer! I asked for advice from senior groomers on how to be safer and really studied the dog’s anatomy and mentally prepared on how to be as safe as possible if that makes sense. I feel like I used to rush myself and that’s when accidents occurred more often.

@broken1989 It happens to even the most seasoned groomers. After 25 years, I can now feel if I have any skin in the blade or scissor. And stop immediately. It just takes thousands of hours of practice. Cropped schnauzer ears are the worst. Get some blunt tip scissors. Like Precision Sharp Patriot 6.5 curves. You will also get to know your blades like the back of your hand. Some blades catch thin skin easier. It's all trial and error.

@broken1989 It happens to even the most seasoned groomers. After 25 years, I can now feel if I have any skin in the blade or scissor. And stop immediately. It just takes thousands of hours of practice. Cropped schnauzer ears are the worst. Get some blunt tip scissors. Like Precision Sharp Patriot 6.5 curves. You will also get to know your blades like the back of your hand. Some blades catch thin skin easier. It's all trial and error.

@broken1989 Honestly for most things, accidents happen when you start to become more comfortable and confident. As me how many times I’ve cut my hand in the kitchen in the last year vs when I was first learning knife skills. It sucks but please don’t let it keep you down. You’ll learn new techniques and improve for next time.

Also grooming is hard. Idk how y’all get the results y’all do on wiggly doggie bodies.

Back