IBD diet

robert93

I have a 9 year old Boston terrier who is currently suffering from IBD. Previously he was treated with metronidazole but it stopped working. He’s currently on prednisone 10mg EOD ( the vet did a tapering dose and it’s almost done) and probiotics. When on prednisone twice a day his stools were half firm and half soft. Now it’s back to soft again. He’s currently eating Purina HA. His stools are so soft but I’m afraid to change him to anything else because honestly this soft stool (it’s like thick mud) is better than the water diarrhea he used to have. He was on hill’s Z/D and hills I/D low fat. My vet prescribed him Albon the other day as an antibiotic but I’m a bit confused because I read that it’s for coccidia (he has a negative fecal). He keeps repeating to me that if my dog eats anything else he will have diarrhea. But last visit I did get annoyed and told him that no one is feeding the dog. The dog does not eat anything but the purina HA
I’m going to try a new diet. Has anyone had any luck with other diets? I’m thinking about a novel protein with extremely low fat such as the just food for dogs venison and squash.

@robert93 I have an 8 year old rottie with IBD. It took a Lot of trial and error to find a diet that would not cause him to flare up. He can tolerate Kangaroo meat (he ate raw his whole life before getting sick, and kangaroo was a novel protein for him), steel cut oats, green beans and pumpkin. And he takes many supplements to try and get him the nutritional value he’s missing from having such a limited diet.
I would think that if your dog’s stool is like mud and he’s on pred then his current diet is probably not working for him. If you’re going to try something new add a very small amount to his current diet, and a little more with each meal, waiting to see how his body responds. Being an inflammatory disease, it can take days for the reaction to new food to show up. It’s such a difficult illness to cope with! :(
My vet recommended Hilary’s blend supplement and it comes with a cook book if you wanted to try home cook and start with the limited antigen diets with a novel protein for your pup.

@cobber73 Hey thanks for your reply! So I ended up going to another vet because at the recheck I told him what was going on and he said just use the prednisone as needed (I told him to repeat that because that threw me off). The new vet prescribed this kangaroo diet that’s also low fat, 5mg of pred twice daily and weekly shots of vitamin b 12. He gained about 1.5lbs so far and he’s full of life. Can’t wait to see his protein levels next visit!

Back