I want to adopt (or buy) a dog...what should I know?

oluyara

Long story short, I want to adopt or purchase a dog. While I love the idea of a rescue, I tend to have pet allergies so am leaning towards purchasing a dog so I can be more confident I know exactly what I’m getting and how (if at all) my new family member will trigger my allergies.

On that note, I’m leaning towards a Maltese or something smaller (given I’m in an apartment) and hypoallergenic.

If I am out of the house for work from 8-7 (I work 9-6), how many times (if at all) would I need to have someone come in and walk her? I obviously don’t want to get a dog if i can’t afford to care for her/give her a good life, so I want to know what I’m getting into cost-wise.

Thanks in advance!

@oluyara It depends on the breed and age; If its a puppy it'll at least be every hour while older dogs can hold in their bladder, however, you could train it to use a puppy pad while you're gone so no one need to walk them.

As far as breeds go just do research into them as certain breeds need different treatment. The dog will need a stable routine and most all dogs need three walks (two small and one long) a day. Also good to watch shows like dog whisper or it's me or the dog for tips and tricks, youtube videos are also helpful.

With food try to give both dry and wet for the best diet and also switch the dry dog food around every two-three months but be sure to mix the old dog food with the new for a day or two as to not upset their stomach.

Heads up; The first month (mainly with puppies) will be the hardest so once you get through that it won't be as hard.

@ecker92 This is helpful! Thank you! I don’t mind putting in the effort myself to start off, or paying someone to come check in while I’m at work in the beginning, as long as it tapers off at some point!

@oluyara I wouldn’t get a puppy unless you can take a good couple weeks off work or work from home as at first they need full care. Even after that they need a lot of supervision etc.

We got a rescue whippet in the summer. They are good as they have thin coats and shed less so are good for allergies. They also are couch potatoes so don’t mind sleeping all day. We had to ease her into being left as at first her anxiety was really bad. Now she can be left a full day though, although often usually someone is around.

I would always look at rescue first just because its so much better to save a dog. And they can be amazingly loving and loyal. If after looking around you have no luck finding one thats right for you then fair enough. But its worth a try. Ours was perfect and has no issues despite us not knowing her history.

You can just google breeds to find out everything you need to know about their specific needs. Just know that puppies are a lot more work but all dogs needs a lot of care and will take time to ease into their new home and routines.

@marko325 Oh that’s a good thought. I guess I was concerned bc my sister has a rescue and has no clue what kind of dog she is; I thought about seeing if I can foster a rescue first, that way if I’m allergic it’s temporary and if not maybe I can pursue adoption- maybe it makes more sense to start there.

Back