I think my dog has separation anxiety. Advice?

dtran

Our dog Daisy is about 4 and appears to be a mix between a dachshund and a chihuahua.

The short version is that I think she because has been with us almost constantly during the quarantine that it's caused her to have anxiety when she can't be with us.

The past several nights she has been whining and panting when we put her to bed in her crate. She previously had no problem with it. She does eventually calm down in about 30 minutes or less though.

Some other details: The past few weeks she has had a reduced appetite but always accepts treats. She doesn't seem to be losing weight so it might just be her metabolism slowing down. She also has been playing outside a lot less. She may be a little bored which I'm trying to remedy.

In January, Lilly, our 15F beagle/jack-russel mix passed away. Daisy used to sleep with her. We kept everything the same and she had no problem sleeping alone until just recently. We do plan to adopt another pack member soon though, so maybe that will help.

Just now, Daisy calmed down in 15 minutes after being put to bed. Maybe things are getting better.

I wonder if her behavior warrants a vet visit or not or if maybe there are any over the counter remedies available to help with her anxiety temporarily. I look forward to hearing y'all's advice.

@dtran My Akita has separation anxiety, and he’s a Velcro dog to boot. When I’ve left home he’s ripped apart my shutters and blinds, destroyed the doors and windows trying to get out.

My vet recommended training, my trainer recommended CBD and tiring him out before leaving home. That seems to work, for now. Just tiring him out would be preferable, but he gets bad anxiety and the CBD does help w that.
Innovetpet.com is where I get him CBD, but they sell treats in Petco/ petsmart/ Amazon.

Good luck!

Back