I need help with my grandma’s 7-9 month German Shepherd! (Mouthing, neglect, and constant jumping)

readwritedream

Hi all, I’m at lost and I really need help.

My grandma bought a puppy from some random breeder (bad) because she “wants protection for her house” (YIKES).

When she got him she was constantly at work, she would leave him in the house with a dog bowl, water and puppy pads from 6am-9pm so by the time she got back he was miserable. My mom and I would stop by and check on him and he would be a crying mess :(. We couldn’t take him home because my parents didn’t want him in the house and our backyard isn’t safe for a puppy.

Now he is still a puppy but really big. I love him with all my heart and I bring him treats every time I see him. BUT he has many issues and my grandma and little cousins who live with her, are scared of him.
  1. He mouths a lot! I know this is a puppy thing but she was never home to train him so it got really bad! When I go outside I have to immediately almost cradle him so I won’t get bit. I talk to him and stuff but as soon as I move to the right or left side of the yard, he bites my ankles and hands HARD. Not in a aggressive way, but a playful way. Because of the mouthing, no one wants to deal with him but my parents and I. (No we can’t keep him)
  2. THE JUMPING. I would not mind the jumping but he tries to bite faces and hands and he knocked down my grandmother. I get he’s excited but his claws hurt! I tried the “turn and ignore” method but he fucked up my back.
  3. Neglect... my grandma constantly threatens to “get rid of him” and I instantly grow upset. None of these problems are the dogs fault, their her fault! Her first mistake was getting a dog and treating it like an object! She rarely plays with him and she just ignores him all the time! She just likes showing him off and bragging about how she has a “full blooded German Shepherd “ and now she says “he’s not full blooded because German Shepherds don’t act like that!” Like girl..
    I constantly grow upset and I don’t want her just giving him away to someone off the street (people fight dogs and run puppy mills around here)
I need help!

@readwritedream To be honest it sounds like this dog might be better off re-homed with a responsible owner that has the drive and resources to properly train it.

These behavioral issues are all fixable with time, patience, and a lot of training. German Shepards are a high energy working breed and it doesn’t sound like your grandma is really willing to train this dog or give it the exercise and mental stimulation it needs.

You could suggest to your grandma that she reach out to local rescues to get their help in rehoming the dog. If she used a reputable breeder, she could also contact them to see if they could help her find the dog a new home.

@sunnyintx0717 I agree with you completely. I love that dog with all my heart but I’m not selfish enough to have him stay in a house that won’t give him any attention. I want to train him but I don’t live with her and I believe it should be a group effort but she always has excuses, so when I do it would not be a daily thing..

Thank you for your advice! I’ll definitely talk to her about it

@readwritedream There are breed specific rescues that are designed to handle that breed and place that breed in a home that has the resources to handle them and understand that is needed for that dog. For working breed dogs, large dogs and smart dogs I really recommend it. I got my Aussie from a breed specific rescue and it was a great experience.

@readwritedream It sounds like she’s in over her head. GSDs are a working breed that can develop neurotic tendencies if they are not properly trained, socialized, and exercised. And a dog that is there to “protect the house” without any training is just a visual deterrent.

I would expect a dog to have lost most of its mouthing tendencies by about 6 months (aka puppy biting). Jumping is still quite normal for a dog that age, but should be trained out quickly so that he doesn’t hurt anyone when he’s even bigger. Like someone else said, it may be best to rehome the dog before he gets too out of hand. If a dog has a bad behavior as a puppy, it will not cure itself as he grows; it only gets worse.

@readwritedream This poor puppy needs rehoming before something bad happens. He is hitting adolescence and without consistent training and firm boundaries he's being set up for failure and your grandmother will have a massive liability on her hands when he does something like nip a child in the face as he won't know any better.

@readwritedream Help them find the dog a home and don’t stop helping until then we owner is taking him away. it will help ease their guilt and he’s more likely to get to a house with training, daily walks, a big sofa to sleep on, days at the lake to play with his family and all of the other things that make dogs happy.

Back