I need H E L P

transcon

I have a female pitmix(do not come at me about breed, my sister abandoned her here) who's having trouble putting on weight. I need dog food advice to help her put on weight that isn't some expensive online specialty blend. I just cannot afford a 60-100 dollar per bag right now.

Is there anything I can find in store for her? I've read the bags but there's so so much conflicting info. I just want to get her healthy.

@transcon Any specific reason she’s underweight? You’d definitely want to rule out medical issues like worms or an illness first.

Iams Active and Purina One true instinct are cheaper but science-backed options made for dogs who are more active.

@sevilodorf Ruled out worms, thyroid, anxiety, and infection. Her gut health seems to be fine, her poops are normal if a bit of a poop factory. I'd take her for another, deeper work up if I could afford it.

@transcon Purina one has a very high calorie food called purina one skin and coat. Could be worth a shot. $50 for 31.1 lbs. If you need more affordable than that I would look at dog chow. Their foods are relatively high in calories, especially the high protein formula which is $37 for 44 lbs

@transcon My pit mix is a chunky thing. So is my male husky. According to my vet the chicken and rice I fed them in the evening makes them put on weight🤷‍♀️. Worth a try.

Back