I love the versatility when grooming a Standard Poodle [fluff]

iaakov777

Carlin is almost 4 years old, and has been groomed like a traditional Standard Poodle, but also a Bedlington, Doodle, and now a Schnauzer/Terrier style groom. I love showing people his different looks, especially when I hear someone say they wouldn’t want one because they look “fru fru”. I have also seen one groomed like a Kerry Blue, and several corded poodles, but have yet to tackle that myself. Most importantly though, he has a wonderful temperament, has become a great running partner, and I can’t imagine my life without him.

Schnauzer/Terrierish

Poodle (show puppy clip)

show puppy2

Bedlington-poodle

Bedlington-poodle2

something in between

Doodled my poodle

@iaakov777 That's so awesome!! I definitely think more people who want a "doodle" should see this, because poodles seem like such an cool and versatile dog

@zabu Same. My first dogs as a kid were Standard poodles, both from our local dog pound. (this was very long time ago, way before the current "doodle" craze). They were such wonderful dogs.

@daughterofgod06 I can't even imagine how a purebred poodle would end up at the pound, even years ago. Almost every dog I see on animal shelter listings is a mixed breed of some sort.

@zabu Same! It’ll be years down the line before I’ll want another dog but standard poodles, duck tolling retrievers, border collies, and a black/golden lab from one of the sporting lines are at the top of my list.

@helpme77 My dog is a poodle mix; not even half (34% according to embark) and he's also incredibly intelligent, has high focus, and absolutely the most loving dog ever.

Having him has made me very interested in poodles and one day when we have a house with a big backyard I'd love to get a well bred poodle so they have room to play and we could get agility equipment. Ugh goals.

(context he's not a doodle, he's just a random rescue mix of 4 detectable breeds lol)

@troller_dog Poodles are definitely intelligent! I think some people confuse "easily trained" with intelligence, and if you don't work on training a poodle, you will wake up one day and realize they have trained you. They also get bored easily, and if not given rules, boundaries, etc...they will set their own, and make their own fun; which almost always means more work for you! I grew up with German Shepherds who are similar in terms of intelligence, and loved working with them. I really thought I would end up becoming a dog trainer or animal behaviorist as I got older, but somehow found myself grooming dogs. It wasn't until I started working in a salon that I fell in love with the Standard Poodle breed, and admit it is one I would have probably overlooked.

@kaykay8 I hate the show poodle cut and it’s wild to me that more people don’t opt for the doodle cut. Once I saw a poodle with a doodle cut, I knew I needed one! I wound up with a doodle because she basically fell into my lap (free from breeder due to deformity that made her “unsellable”) but my next dog will 100% be a full poodle!

@humbly Honestly, I have a light red mini in a "doodle" cut. Walking him I often have people ask what he's mixed with. Admittedly, he looks like a cockapoo or cavapoo but he's all poodle. They're always somewhat disappointed when I tell them he's a poodle.

Yup, mini-labradoodle is another one I've gotten. So weird! Why can't people accept that poodles are so much more than haircuts!

Wanna really blow someone's mind? Tell them that standard poodles have run in Iditarod.

There’s a lady in CO who does search & rescue on the ski slopes with her Standard Poodle. I think that the crazy show poodle cuts prove that these dogs are usually good natured because most dogs won’t be enthused about getting the extended grooming.

@peacefulocean
but once you look past the coat their confirmation is always so 'meh'

Yesss, my inlaws had one whose butt was at least two inches higher than his withers. Their dog died while on a walk, when his back end suddenly stopped working because his spine gave out (euthanized at the vet, after being given a very poor prognosis). Doodle people just don't understand conformation or how it relates to health and soundness.

@humbly I like the show-puppy cut. I admire what it takes to do the continental groom, although I have never done one on my dog or anyone else's. It doesn't appeal to me either. I do want to learn one of these days just to learn something new! Thank you for taking in a dog many would probably overlook for not being "perfect". It was dumb luck that I ended up with Carlin....a grooming client and friend bought him from a breeder, but unfortunately both him and his partner started having severe health problems. So, when Carlin was 3 months old they asked me to groom him, and then told me they had to give him up and wanted to offer him to me first. I was already responsible for his name, clearly I had to take him.

edit: weird wording

@kaykay8 Yes! That was one thing that inspired me to post this. I run with Carlin a few days a week, and every now and then we get stopped by someone asking what breed he is, or saying he's a beautiful Doodle. (I also own 2 Briards...and we get the same questions/comments....but I'll save that for another post!)

I don't dislike doodles, and would never judge someone for getting one, as long as the dog is well cared for, but I do think there are many doodle owners out there who own them because they have a picture in their head when they hear Poodle. "Don't Poodle my Doodle" is a very common phrase you hear as a dog groomer. It was always fun when Carlin was at work with me in a Doodle type cut and they would go so far as to say they want him groomed like *My* doodle and would point to him!