I have a 10Y/o Boston terrier

@neveragain1 It would likely be the worst thing you’ve ever done to your Boston Terrier. ACD puppies are usually very difficult to deal with (understatement!). Read the puppy posts on here and then seriously consider NOT turning your older dog’s life upside down.

@neveragain1 ACD and him will be fine once you train the ACD not to nip at him, but over the next two years you’re going to have to really dedicate your time and energy to your ACD pup. They require so much more exercise and stimulation compared to a Boston. You’d be doing your Boston a disservice in his last few years by upending his routine and not spending as much time with him because you have a high energy puppy.

@neveragain1 My 2.5 year old border mix struggled when we brought our ACD pup home. I cannot even express just how many times I had to get between the puppy and the dog. Play time was all the time. She did not know what boundaries are. It's a thing she had to learn, and it might be the hardest thing we had to train.

Not all dogs are the same, but I think it's a safe bet to say it would be pretty stressful for your boston. Not impossible to do, just difficult.

@feelson SAME! My 6 y-o BC/ACD mix (A) needed TPLO surgery a few months after we got a purebred ACD pup (B). A may be a high energy mix, but he's my sweet, low key boy. B is an absolute terrorist. We are still working on getting the him to stop going after his brother's back legs. I have to get between them all the time. The worst is going up and down the stairs. B thinks it's great fun to go after everyone's ankles on the stairs. It's getting better bit by bit. B just made 1 year yesterday.

@travisw Haha yea 😅 our ACD is 3 now and the only heels she nips at anymore are our other dog's, but now if he says "enough" she backs off. We have cats and she learned real quick not to nip their heals. Took probably a year-ish before she fully stopped nipping at me and my husband.

Back