I have 2 Female dogs that fight and I’m at a loss at what to do

god_is_gracious

I have 3 dogs in my house Juno (3yrs, goldendoodle Rottweiler mix), Iris (2yrs, Texas heeler) and Phoebe (1yr, husky Idaho shag mix)
Juno and Iris have been fighting so bad the last few months and it’s starting to scare me. I also have a two year old and I worry about her getting in their way and getting hurt. Juno is fixed and Iris is not. Today they fought the worst. I couldn’t get them to stop and just started crying, when they finally stopped they were both pretty hurt and bleeding. Thankfully nothing deep enough for stitches. I feel like a failure as a dog mom. I love them both with my whole heart but I feel like they are taking too much out of me. Do I call it quits and find a new home for Iris (she’s the instigator) or is there something more I can do? I have been in tears all day thinking about the idea of getting rid of her, but on the hand they keep hurting eachother and that’s not safe either. Any advice is appreciated.❤️

@god_is_gracious Muzzles, immediately. Baby gates and crates to keep them separate. Never let them eat at the same time. Everything is separate for the time being to at least calm everyone down.

Are they both spayed?

@god_is_gracious Why is one not spayed? Once two females start fighting badly it’s really hard to keep them safely in the same house without some serious management.

Spay the other dog. Keep them separate for a while to let those stress hormones dissipate + surgery recovery. Don’t try to use punishment to solve this, it will make things much more dangerous- don’t fight fire with fire. If it continues, for the safety of everyone including your baby, it may be best to rehome Iris. Sorry you’re dealing with this.

@god_is_gracious There is a trainer that I think dealt with this exact issue. She runs a program called "Slow Thinking is Life Saving for dogs"...I watched an interview a few days ago. It's Dr. Laura Donaldson & fourpawsfourdirections. I volunteer with shelter dogs & just expose myself to different things...I can't endorse this person, but she might be able to help you out.

@god_is_gracious How long have they been in the same house?

I would consult a trainer immediately if keeping both of them is necessary. Sometimes it’s not fair to keep two dogs in a hostile environment just for your comfort. BUT if you have the money and are willing to put in the work, a trainer can help. Until then, keep them separated, especially if you don’t feel you can adequately break up a fight between them. Same sex aggression is very common and may be the primary issue here.

Back