I don't know if I'm doing the right thing by putting my 5 y/o german shepherd down tomorrow

tenayshus

This all happened so fast. I figured out she had a cancerous tumor about 2 weeks ago, and now I believe she's in the early stages of dying. Her "stools" are literally just pure blood at this point. She can't eat without vomiting. Even if she doesn't eat, which she hasn't been, she still vomits. The sad thing is, I know she still has an appetite because she tries begging for my food. She's just not herself and it's breaking me to see her like this. She still gets excited whenever I bring her leash out though. She somehow has the energy to go on walks. She still loves sitting in the frontyard. It's the little positive things that make me question if I'm doing the right thing by putting her down.

Not to mention, my Dad passed due to cancer 2 years ago when I was 18. She was the only one who made living bearable at that point in time. She was there for me through some of the hardest moments in my life. She's my bestfriend. I feel like I'm reliving what happened to my Dad all over again. She's way too young, just like my Dad was. She's dying from cancer, just like my Dad was. She's slowly becoming a shell of herself, just like my Dad was. It's just so painful to watch and know that there's nothing that I can do. Also, my relationship with death is not the best, as my Dad passed during the pandemic. My family and I had to watch him die behind a glass wall. He died a painful death to say the least. It all just scares me and I'm so conflicted on what's right and what's wrong. Any advice helps.

@tenayshus My personal take is that if the dog is in pain, and there is very little chance of a cure, it’s time to let them go. I have lost two dogs to cancer, and I know it’s tough - on top of that, I live in a city with a major vet school, so they can do anything for a dog that they can do for a human being.

But, at least in my opinion a dog is not waiting to see the family for Christmas, or hanging on so they get to see their grandson graduate from high school. Those kinds pf things may give meaning to pain for a human being. But for a dog, pain is just pain.

@ihavefavorofgod From a human with cancer’s perspective this is spot on. Cancer is brutal, it’s ugly and painful. I’m only in my 30’s and I have to face the fact I might not see my son graduate. I’m fighting like hell to try to be there for him but I can’t guarantee him that. I wouldn’t subject my dog to what I have had to endure the last 8 months, I would him go peacefully with me holding him, telling him what a good boy he is than have him suffer this horrible disease

@miekka I'm incredibly sorry that you're having to go through that. I know that cancer is a terrible, unfair, and ugly disease based on what I had to witness with my Dad, and I would not wish that on anyone. You're a strong person, and I admire the fact that you're trying to be there for your family. Keep giving it your all, and know that there's people rooting for you.

@tenayshus Thank you. We lost my mom to the same cancer I have, she was only 2 years older than I am when she died. We lost my younger brother to osteosarcoma 8 weeks and 3 days ago. The 18th would have been his 32nd birthday. My family has went through hell and I don’t how my dad is keeping it all together losing one kid to cancer while watching another one fight it. He’s my rock lately.

I am so sorry about your girl. It is heartbreaking to lose them and their time with us is never long enough. My grandpa told me that letting them go is the most unselfish and loving thing we can do at times. We choose to take on the emotional pain of losing them to eliminate their physical pain. It’s that moment that we truly learn to love like a dog, perfectly and unconditionally.

@tenayshus Went thro this with my heart dog . You need to do what’s right for the pup. I released my boy a few weeks earlier.I didn’t want him to suffer just so I could have more time with him. I hope I’m making sense 💝💔🥹

@tenayshus I'm so sorry and my heart goes out to you. I went through the exact same situation. My dad passed in 2019, then in 2020 I had to put my old girl down. She'd lived a long life (~15) but was dying of kidney failure which is exactly what took my dad. It was agonizing as it was a repeat of what happened almost to the detail, right down to the physical and mental symptoms. Lost my mom in 2017, too. A little shocked I made it through those years, frankly.

@waltonm I'm so sorry for the loss you've experienced. We lost our dog to Kidney Failure recently and it's so cruel.

We were in a strange way privileged to see him free from pain and to be able to give him that release. 15 is an amazing age, though I realise that's cold comfort.

@tenayshus I am so sorry that you have had to deal with so much loss.

The one blessing, is that you can prevent her from having a painful death alone. You can be with her and she will go without any pain.

Hugs.

@tenayshus If you prolong her death, what will it bring you? What will it bring her?
More time for laying in the grass, perhaps. A walk or two. The things you two have treasured together. Time, really.

But, it could also bring her a lot of pain that you won't have time to make better. And you helpless to help her. Cancer is truly ruthless and will wreck havock upon her body that you will have to bear witness to.

I had to put my boy down back in January 2020. He still wanted to go on walks and he'd eat anything and everything. He always loved food but I think the cancer made him voracious. He wasn't the kind of dog that would bite you over a bone but when the cancer had truly spread, he bit my dad over a frozen rabbit he found in the yard. His hips would lock up when he would lay down. He'd then panic and elimate. And he couldn't get up to get away from his own excrement. He never messed in the house and you could tell he hated doing it.

I found peace in helping him go. He, I don't think, knew what was in store for himself but I did. I didn't want him to feel the violent end of cancer. When he was younger, he had a serious illness called bloat and torsion, just about when he was about your dog's age. Watching him in that much pain with nothing you could do about it was gut wrenching. It was not the end of him but I understood then what it meant to having to put your pet first, ahead of your own feelings. I would hate for you to have to watch your girl decline to a point where she's panicked and afraid or hurting.

We made sure his last day was a good one.

It doesn't have to be tomorrow but it'll be harder for you to come to terms with helping her cross as it feels just so unfair and she's just so young. But, do your best to do best by her. She'll love you no matter what.

@arealshirt I'm so sorry about your boy, I can't imagine going through that. I appreciate your advice and honestly found it very insightful. Thank you for helping me see that it's in her best interest to put her down sooner rather than later. I'll move forward with all of that in mind.

@tenayshus I second all this. I took online questionnaires, talked to my friends, family, etc. my sister finally said, what are you waiting for? Her to be even more sick? More in pain? All for you to feel better about the decision? Man, that was a huge punch in the face. But it was true. In hindsight, I still waited too long.
I scheduled the euthanasia appt for a vet to come to the house and to do it in her favorite spot on the lawn. I have her the very best last week and last day. If I get to choose when my pets pass in the future, I will pay whatever it costs for in-home euthanasia. I don’t want the last place they’re at be somewhere they hate.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It’s your decision and you know her best. Marking the decision was the hardest thing i ever did. Losing my dog sucked. It’s gut wrenching. But it was for the best and I felt relief along with my grief.

My deepest sympathies go to you for your situation.