I can’t wait to be able to join my dog at the vet’s office

cobondservant

My dog despises the vet. I muzzle her and give her trazodone prior to a vet visit because it’s such a stressful experience for her. Due to the pandemic, I’m not allowed to come into the vet’s office. I drop her off and pick her up when she’s done. I can only imagine how scared she must be. I obviously want to minimize vet visits in general. However, once the vet’s office allows owners back inside, I plan to join her and make it as positive as an experience as possible! The best treats, lots of counterconditioning training while we’re there (if it’s allowed), and whatever it takes to make the experience even marginally better. My vet is walking distance from my apartment and I’d love to be able to pop in during walks with my dog just to say hello and give treats if it’s allowed!

I adopted during the pandemic so I’ve never been able to do any of this before. I’ve got big hopes and dreams for creating a better vet experience for my girl. I know it’ll never be perfect but I also know it can improve. Curious to hear if others have similar plans post-pandemic or if you have already found ways to improve vet visits for your reactive pup!

@cobondservant We’re the opposite! Also a pandemic pup and fear-reactive to dogs but not people. It’s been great being able to wait in our car until just before they’re ready for him and then get whisked away to be with his friends the vets and vet techs who shower him with love. I’ve asked my vet if I can keep bringing him that way and they’re all for it. Maybe I’ll go in with him eventually, but the waiting room would be a nightmare.

@ronit Yeah, I always call when I arrive with my reactive dog, and we wait outside either in the car or sniffing around a grassy area nearby until they have an exam room ready and a dog-free waiting room. It's great for us, and they're happy to do it because it means a way less stressed dog to work with.

@ronit Same here! My dog does much better at the vet without me there with her. Partly, I think she's too scared to be reactive, so she's shut down. While that's a bit sad, I've heard this from previous dog walkers as well... that she's not reactive to other dogs when they walk her.

This was also why having her trainer come work with her, while we were at work during the day, did no good. She is waaaaay less reactive when it wasn't me holding the leash. 🙄

@cobondservant Ha, I adopted a new dude during the pandemic and he came complete with all the worms and a "mild" case of heartworm. So since I got him last July, I've never been able to go to the treatment room with him. In that time, he had multiple visits, one overnight HW treatment, 1 full day at the vet for HW, one emergency visit in the middle of the night bc my other dog somehow bit his tongue and it wouldn't stop bleeding and one emergency visit because he broke the bone in his penis. (Yes, seriously. I got him a new bed and he humped it until he broke his wee)

He has never been a problem with any of the vets, even when he was in distress. This past weekend I took him in for a checkup, regular shots, etc. I got to go in with him and it was almost a disaster. He was so over-the-top protective of me. I ended up excusing myself from the room and after that he was fine with the vet and her assistant. My dude is apparently a jerk when I am around!

@drmirabilis Wow!! Poor guy has been through a lot! My dog is also protective and that's not something I really considered about joining her in the vet's office. Definitely need to keep that in mind and decide if it still would make sense for me to join her eventually.

@cobondservant Don't feel bad if your dog is better being examined without you. I hate going to the doctor and I'm sure that I've transmitted my worries to my dogs in the past.

Now I'm fine with handing them over and getting all the glory of being the hero after shots and ear exams are finished. :)

@drmirabilis I had to take my girl in today. I thought that because of COVID she'd actually be better without me around because she's very protective of me.

It. Was. A dumpster. Fire. I think they'll be talking about her at the vet's office for years to come. Most of them were really nice about it but they used the sort of language you do to talk about a once in a lifetime event. "I wasn't there when it all went down" "(hears my name) oh, you're X's owner!" -- things like that.

If I hadn't been seeing them for almost fifteen years I'd never show my face there again. But the vet was really kind to me last time I spoke to him over the phone, and he sounded like he felt awful for not being able to calm her down more. Aww!

@cobondservant If it makes you feel any better, most pets do much better when their owner isn't present. I know from experience as a previous vet tech and very long time pet owner. My reactive dog has been doing much better with curbside and he will continue to do that. The vet recently invited me in with my non reactive dog and I opted not to. We talked about it and she admitted that work has been a lot tougher since they started allowing owners back in.

@everydaylily I’ve wondered about this. When I had my cat way back, I went into the vet with him and woke hold him while the tech did a temp check and for shots so I was able to participate in keeping him calm. I’ve never been able to go in with my dog and while I know she’s not comfortable with the poking and prodding, she at least doesn’t have to feel any worry/concern/anxiety from me as they do that. I’d love to meet my vet face-to-face and thank her in-person but if they think it’s better for me to stay in the car or waiting room, I think I’d be cool with that.

@everydaylily My dog went apeshit without me there and my family is mad I wasn't allowed in with her, but now this comment makes me wonder how bad it could've been if I was in there with her.

@cobondservant I hate that I've never been able to meet my vet or see what goes on inside, but honestly I think it's better off that he's in there without me. A lot of his reactivity of specific to me and him wanting to protect me, so I think he's better off with me waiting in the car.

@cobondservant Now:
  • When you drop off, drop your dog off with a baggie of chicken and cheese bits (in longish strips so they're easy to feed through the muzzle) and ask them to give it all to the dog during the visit. All of it.
  • Start the happy visits now! Walk to the vet, sit in the parking lot, feed some treats, yay. Practice some basic vet handling and feed more treats. yay. Then walk away.
  • If there are specific triggers you can identify (dogs, cats, men, women, etc) then try to minimize them. e.g. schedule an appt for the first or last time slot of the day and come in through a back door to avoid other pets. Ask for a female or male doctor and techs, whatever makes it easier for your dog.
  • Ask for details about how your dog did. Not just "she did well!" but how was her body language during restraint? What parts of the exam did she seem more comfortable and least comfortable with? Was she willing to take food? Did she growl? Did she snap? What was the context and how did the staff respond? Get all the info so you know what to work on!
Later:
  • If you're starting fresh with happy visits, consider starting at a different vet where there is not negative history of bad feelings already. Look for a vet who is certified fear free if there's one near you.
  • Work on cooperative care handling and find a vet who is willing to humor you and be patient with it during visits.
  • Some dogs do better with their owners present, some do better with their owners out of sight. Figure out which one your dog is and behave accordingly. I had one dog I never let them take "in the back" because he was better with me. I have another who is better when I'm out of sight, so she goes with them and I stay in the exam room. It depends on you and the dog and the vet, but whatever you think is best is what you should push for.

@cobondservant I love your post and the care, love and optimism you have! Yay! I am going to take Fear Free owner class https://fearfreepets.com/ and get this https://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/29459
Also I purchased her Teaching a Solid Chin Rest Workshop (haven’t dug in yet) bc that has been helpful. Just like Touch has been.
I have CC+DS down at the vets but I know there is so much to do at home like practice tenting the skin for a shot. For a recent vet visit (absessed tooth) for about two weeks I was doing a lot of handling but mostly since he gets a sedation shot outside before he goes in if he is getting anesthesia I spent two weeks poking him in the thigh - so very gently first with a chop stick then I increased it a little every session. There are some great groups on Facebook for Fearful Dogs and Reactive Dogs that have been helpful. One even had vets and techs on it. I quit FB for a while so don’t have the links sorry.

@cobondservant Vet's office is stressful for any dog - also depend on the specific vet. My reactive dog freaks out with the several vets we've checked out - just one he tolerates. This specific vet understands anxious dogs and doesn't force on him - he approaches him side ways after weather-talking with me for a few minutes (to allow my dog to settle), kneels down to exam him instead of putting him on the exam table (it helps my dog is big, a GSD) - one other vet in the same office insisted to load him on the table and he could not stop shaking, and screamed when that vet tried to tough him - she had not touched him yet.

Bottom line - explain to your vet your dog needs to be approached slowly and side ways. Always muzzle your dog (with a basket type) to make your vet/vet tech more relaxed - they relax your dog will relax. Bring the best treat (boiled chicken) to feed your dog when he is being examed.

I also don't wait in the waiting area when checking in. I get in just myself tell them we are here on the parking lot. The vet tech comes out when they are ready to let us in - and we go straight to the exam room.

Good luck.

@cobondservant My boy has had to go to the vet a couple times since COVID. First was an ear infection and he wasn't sure about the going in without me. Second was to get neutered, he was drugged up, and he knew something was up. Started his big bark when I gave the tech with leash and ended up having to carry his butt into the office. Third time was for his annual check-up, and a bit hesitant but no issues. Normally, he is investigating every corner and needs to see everything. When I don't get to go with him, he just sits there and stares at the door, so definitely makes it easier on the techs!

@cobondservant Had a vet visit this morning and it was my first time joining my fear-reactive pup in the examination room. Probably will be my last. He definitely is braver and acts tougher when I am around...he bit the vet tech and had to be muzzled. Last time he was examined and given all his shots no problem without a muzzle. So he is better off without me in there.

@cobondservant Oh my gosh I feel you so much on this. I got my pup 2 months before the lockdowns so I got 2 gold months of in person vet visits before they stopped letting owners come in. My dog wasn’t afraid of the vet’s office but he is now! He literally will refuse to go through the door so last time I begged them to let me stay with him since I was already vaccinated & wearing a mask. They made an exception because he is too big to pick up & there was no way he was going through that door without mom.

Back