How to let people know I’m open to making e-collar collars and similar gear without inciting upset a the farmer’s market?

coffeedrinker

Kind of a funny problem I’m having that I hope I can get some opinions on! So I make adjustable and custom biothane collars. My base offerings use a fun process to create patterns that can include dog names an info, etc. However, I also love making custom gear for folks that fits specific needs, and I’m more than happy for that to include straps and things for e-collars.

Im doing some farmer’s markets this summer where I’ll be selling stock and soliciting custom orders. However, the area I live in, there’s a lot of well meaning but probably e-collar/aversive sensitive people so I don’t want to just have it openly advertised as an option on my table.

So my question is this: anyone have any ideas how to subtly let people know I’m open to making this kind of gear without getting yelled at by a force free dog trainer in a farmer’s market?

Thanks for any and all ideas!

@imagebeastmarkbeast Whenever I have been asked "is that a shock collar?" with my very well behaved and friendly dogs, I tell them, "it's called an E-collar because it can beep, vibrate, or shock, and I almost never utilize the shock feature anyway, it is only for emergencies"

@coffeedrinker People are definitely being way too harsh in the comments here, it's very reasonable for you to be wary about that because the general public does tend to be judgemental.

Aside from that, if you're planning on having pictures/in person examples you could throw in one if you've made one without the receiver in it. That way if someone asked what the purpose of it was you could explain it! That way the general public won't be able to tell just from looking, only already inquiring customers!

@coffeedrinker Personally, if I saw someone offering these and it wasn't clear if it would fit my e-collar, I would ask the vendor.

I can't imagine many people not inquiring unless it was specifically stated.

@eve_marie I’m hoping people will ask is exactly the thing. But just because of where I’m at in the world, I’d love to give some sign to folks that it’s okay to ask in case they’re afraid I might be one of those people to lecture them instead of working with them.

@coffeedrinker Is there any hunting in your area? Because “tracking and radio collars for hunting or off leash work” might get the point across. Though I agree that fewer people will care than you think.

And do you have a website? Could you PM me if you don’t want to post it here?

@coffeedrinker Just put them on your table. I'm apart of my local R+ trainer community and I can guarantee you that they have bigger fish to fry than yelling about ecollar straps on a table and they do not want to cause scenes at local markets. That is embarrassing. As a matter of fact, everyone who is worth associating with doesn't want to cause a scene anywhere and the people that do make scenes are endlessly made fun of.

FF dog owners are more likely to give you shit (even then though, I'd doubt it because sane people are not high-conflict about dog training in a non dog training environment) and they wouldn't know what an ecollar strap is unless it's labeled anyways, so just put it out and everyone who is looking for one will know what they are.

@imagebeastmarkbeast I guess I should elaborate that I don’t think I’ll actually, truly get yelled at by FF trainers, more that I might worry about uneducated laypeople being turned off sales due to openly advertising e-collar geae. I know there’s a lot of misinformation and in my community and, since we’re close to a major progressive city which is great about lots of things, can be a little sensitive about this sort of thing.

There are great suggestions in this thread, though. I think listing things like training and tracking gear/collars will work well.

@coffeedrinker also on being in a progressive area, you would be extremely surprised at the number of progressive people who support e-collar use when appropriate (like me and nearly all of my dog trainer/owner friends) and conservative people who heavily disagree. i wouldn’t be too worried about it, things aren’t as cut and dry as you might think.

plus like others have mentioned, if someone tries to pull a karen on you others are likely going to be far more judgmental of the person causing the scene rather than you just standing there minding your own business.

@coffeedrinker Seconding the other comments above but if you want suggestions a sign that says things like "custom collars" or "tracking collars" or something would help. You can even phrase it like a vibration collar.

@coffeedrinker “Custom GPS collar” might sell the point. I know as an e collar user I’d be stopping by. Having one with my name and cell would be great in case he gets it caught (we use a bungee collar due to long hair).