How to help a new dog (8 mo) get used to our old dog (2 y/o)?

machia

Just got an 8mo old Corgi yesterday. We have a 2 yr old Australian Shepherd at home. I read about the 3-3-3 rule and understand it takes time for the 8mo old to get used to her new environment.

But, is there any way to help the new 8mo old feel more comfortable around our 2y/o pup? So far, the Corgi growls, shows teeth, and barks ANY time our Aussie gets close. And our Aussie is REALLY bad at reading social cues. She interprets any sign of discomfort from the Corgi as playtime and gets in her face (even historically she's pissed off a TON of dogs because she doesn't understand social cues). The Corgi is very sweet toward humans, so the relationship with the Aussie is the biggest issue.

Also... can you please tell me if I've been taking a good approach so far? I don't want to unintentionally reinforce any bad behaviors between them:

I distract them and if they can sit calmly for a few seconds within 5 feet of each other, I give them treats and say "good girls" while petting them.

If the Corgi shows teeth/growls/barks at the Aussie, I distract them by telling them to follow me around the house or try to separate them for a few min.

I do not discourage the growling as I read that dogs should be allowed to express their discomfort.