How to discuss medication options with vet?

grandpa2390

Our 5ish year old chihuahua-mix rescue has severe behavioral issues that we think can only be addressed by medication. Despite working on training, we still worry that he is a danger to himself and others. We recently moved and have only been to a walk-in clinic once where the subject of medication was quickly dismissed. How should we approach the conversation with a vet about potentially finding medication for our dog?

x-posted (kinda) to r/dogtraining

@grandpa2390 You say, “I would like to talk about trying a medication for my dog’s anxiety.” It will be that easy.

Edit: I didn’t read to the end of the post. I work at a vet office and I think it’s really weird that they dismissed you when you said you wanted to try meds. The vets where I work will prescribe medication to anyone who asks after they’ve ruled out illness/pain as a cause for the behavior.

@stevenbelievin I had the same thing happen to me. We asked out vet and I think she saw two young kids looking for an easy way to shut their dog up. Ended up paying for a behaviorist which helped a lot. Still have issues with our pup, but haven’t brought up medication for her again.

@grandpa2390 What I did was call around and discussed with a few different places. One place was like "this is what we will do to make your dog comfortable when you bring her in and yes you can definitely discuss medication with the vet" and I knew they were right for me. They let me and my anxious dog wait in a private room with dimmed lights to keep her calm. Shes been on anti anxiety medication for only a week and I had all of my friends over last night and she didnt even bark at anyone

@grandpa2390 My vet won't prescribe meds either-- he said that he feels meds are overused and referred me instead to an animal behaviorist. She prescribed my dog Zoloft and Trazodone, plus CBD oil. She also said my dog is absolutely in need of these things and that she hasn't seen such an anxious dog in a long time. During the whole three hour appointment, my dog never once settled or relaxed or calmed down at all.

@skreiaberg Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a behaviorist is really what we need. I actually already tried CBD oil with our dog over several weeks and noticed no difference whatsoever--hope your dog is doing better!

@grandpa2390 Sometimes it is worth its weight in gold to find a veterinary behaviorist. For example, there are vets like this one:

https://www.vet.upenn.edu/people/faculty-clinician-search/CARLOSIRACUSA

These are individuals who will evaluate your little one, and be able to *both* give you a plan of meds and training that will set you on the right path.

You don't have to "convince them" or "educate them" - and that's an entirely other burden you don't need...because they won't work with you easily to get the right dose, etc..if you have to convince them to give you meds in the first place.

The last thing you want is for your pup to end up biting or injuring someone...especially when this could be prevented. Also, it's endlessly frustrating to not know what to do - and these people are experts. Your issues might not completely go away...but man, they can improve and make your life better.

Best of luck.

@grandpa2390 My reactive chihuahua rescue is put on ace when he needs to be still (vet visits, grooming). However my vet said with behavioral training, his other issues can be solved without medication (she thought medication is overused). His reactivity dimmered a little bit due to the training and putting a lot of time into him. My dog seems to be doing ok without medication but other dogs may need to be on it. Always ask your vet for advice, not a walk in clinic.

He goes in another room with a Kong when guests comes over. He has limited time with guests if he's in my entertaining space... He still reacts with dogs but it gotten better because I can now get his attention and we can both move on. He still reacts to other things I've mentioned in this forum but all is not lost.

Anyways the only advice you should take is the vet...and you can decide if medication will help your pup or not.

@grandpa2390 I agree with everyone suggesting finding a steadier vet, as well as a veterinary behaviorist.

If your regular vet is open to meds but doesn't really know which ones to try, and/or if you can't physically get to a VB, many VBs offer to do phone consultations with your vet. IIRC, the VB can't Rx anything to a pet they don't see IRL at least every year or so, but they can make medication suggestions to your vet, who can Rx them to you.

Our dog also has stranger-danger issues, and she's made massive strides since getting put on an SSRI (Zoloft)--I would say 80% improvement, from "all visitors are mortal enemies" to "hm, kinda weird, but I'm just gonna nap on my mat or maybe even give you some couch cuddles." You're doing the right thing investigating meds for your dog!

Back