How much should I feed my puppy (Royal Canin)?

nyar

I just adopted a 3.5 month old puppy that’s expected to be roughly 60 lbs (27.2 kg) when she’s fully grown. The Royal Canin puppy food suggests I feed her 3 cups per day, which seems excessive. The foster that was taking care of her before me was feeding her 1.5 cups of Purina Puppy Chow per day, so literally half. And the puppy seems to be a healthy weight and pooping regularly, so it doesn’t seem like she would need more?

Note: I am aware that I need to transition the puppy from Purina to Royal Canin. The question is, does the amount I feed her change?

@nyar Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for now and monitor her weight, if you notice her gaining excess weight, cut back.

@nyar All dog foods are different due to the ingredient formulation some will need more some will need less.

If you have any questions talk to your vet at your next check up or call them

@nyar I would ask your vet about calculating calories and go based off that. Usually the bag recommendation was too high for my puppy.

@nyar It’s a different food/brand, so I wouldn’t be that concerned. There’s probably just a different amount of calories or the formulation just requires more to be fed. I’d follow the bag, or ask your vet if you’re that concerned!

@nyar I would honestly ask your vet how much or compare calories and such on the bags. But for switching food I remember we mixed like a bit of the old stuff with the new stuff for a bit and then did a ratio for like 5? Days like 75% old 15% new 70/30 and then like 50/50 and then like 30/70 and then like 15/75 and then finally just fed him the whole new stuff which was just Kirkland dog food 😂I would stick to just 2 cups a day and then eventually increase based on the puppies size and weight every few weeks or every months I think the average is 2 cups anyways

I remember when I adopted my dog he’s an American black lab (might be mixed dunno) we asked the shelter how much they were feeding him and they said 2 cups a day. He was 105pounds at the time. We got home and fed him and he INHALED HIS FOOD. And we both went “yeah this isn’t going to be enough” and now he gets fed 3x a day. Lol I remember the one time I forgot to feed him lunch the like 6th day he was here and he was like YELLING at me for food 😂😂

Back