How much hot dog treats is too much per day? 11 week old goldendoodle

purestofpure

Just wanted to get your opinion on how much of this hot dog per day I could get away with safely as high value treat. My girl needs a ton of motivation when out on the leash so that's the only time I'm using it, but I still would like some advice on how much per day is acceptable. Don't want to overdue it.

It's these specific dogs and I just broil them and cut them up tiny pieces.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwitgJmQxuKDAxUwMlkFHZmOBx0QgTYImQo

@purestofpure I tend not to worry too much about too many calories on growing puppies. They can go to bed looking chunky and wake up looking like you haven't fed them in weeks. Once their growth starts to slow down, then I'd start to worry about it more.

@purestofpure Just factor the amount of calories into how many calories shes supposed to have per day and adjust the amount of food you are feeding accordingly.

My dogs trainer always told us you don't even have to use BIG pieces of hot dogs/chicken/etc, it can be the size of a pinky nail and it will be sufficient to motivate them to do what you want them to do.

@purestofpure Echoing what others have said about not worrying too much. I’d also mix in some verbal praise or pets if she likes those things. It can be a little hard to do if you’re teaching leash walking but it’s definitely good to change it up.

When I know my dog is in for a longer training session I’ll adjust his food for that day.

@purestofpure I'd change the treat... like everyone says maybe don't worry about it too much with a growing puppy except hot dogs have so much sodium that maybe its worth worrying and switching to another treat :)

@purestofpure I try not to give my dogs anything containing sweeteners of any kind.

In particular, I avoid refined sugars because it’s hard on their teeth and gums and digestive teeth cleaning is stressful and expensive. Dairy contains a lot of natural sugars so I avoid that too but my current digestive gets a little geese because he loves it and I have become a sucker in my old age.

For training, I like freeze dried liver pieces. It doesn’t take much per bite to act as a reward.