How do you balance being a good dog parent and taking care of yourself?

bugznelson

I want to start going to the gym, but I’m not sure how since I have a dog. I know that may sound like a lame excuse to not workout but, I own an energetic Jack Russell and I work your 8:30-4:30 shift, so getting his physical needs met come first. However, I really need to start hitting the gym for health reasons. I’m not sure how to schedule the day, Here’s what my typical day looks like :
6:15am - wake up
6:30-7:30 - walk the dog
7:30-8:15 - get ready for/going to work
12pm - 12:30pm - midday dog walk
5pm - 6pm - dog park
6-7 pm - make/eat dinner/feed the dog
7-8pm - cuddles/puzzles/play/for my dog
8-9pm - get ready for and go to bed.

Like, where can I fit going to the gym in my schedule without feeling like I’m sacrificing my dog’s wellbeing? l’ve tried to get up earlier and I STRUGGLE . I talked to my doctor about it and she warned me that I need all the sleep I could get - I work a stressful /emotional job and sleep helps regulate that and I couldn’t agree more. But I really want/need to get in shape, and I need more movement than just walking.
Any advice? How would you move my schedule around? How do you stay in shape when you own a dog and work all day?

@bugznelson Could you not run with your dog? Used to have a fitness mad neigbour and a 3 mile run with his dog every morning was part of his daily routine. Get some weights or just do some pushups and situps each day. Saves on gym memberships too lol

@bugznelson I get this!! Could you hire a dog walker a couple of times a week for the mid-day walk, and work out then?

I think you could also shave some time off the post work routine. Burn some energy at the dog park for 30-45 minutes, load up a few puzzles and stuffed/frozen toys, and take an hour for yourself a couple evenings a week. Have a sandwich or bagged salad for dinner to free up a bit more time. That's a pretty enriched day for your dog, especially compared to 90% of pets out there.

@sandgroper101 I was also thinking the same thing, if they can afford a dog walker a few times a week it may be worth it for their well-being. It has been for mine, and is worth the cost IMO.

@bugznelson Hi! I totally understand, going to the gym is hard to fit in a schedule.

Don’t know if that could fit your reality. But I also started working out and I decided to buy some dumbbells and some small gym equipment. So I workout from home instead of going to the gym. I personally found that it save me time since I don’t have to drive or get ready.

If you absolutely want to go the the gym, maybe you could buy another puzzle for your dog. Maybe you already know this, but I’ve read that puzzle are so stimulating that it’s like going for a walk. So maybe adding some puzzle in your dog routine in the morning or before bed to replace one of the walk.

@bugznelson I’m just here to say that this is not a lame excuse at all. Owning a dog really took a bigger toll on my schedule than I realized it would, i ended up with such bad puppy blues because of it.

I have to go at 6am right after I have fed him breakfast and then I come back for some time before leaving for work.

@bugznelson Can you do something like... instead of 7-8pm play with your dog, give your dog a frozen treat and go to the gym? 2-3 times a week?

I also have a high energy dog and similar schedule to yours - 6:30am wake up, walk dog, 8:30am to 4:30pm work, walk dog, 7-9pm free time, 9pm walk dog before bed.

I change my free time every day - play with dog, hang out with friends, go to gym, craft, etc! :)

@bugznelson Going to the gym will really enhance your life—besides the health benefits you’ll sleep better and feel more energetic. Just start doing it and don’t feel guilty. A healthier you is better for both you and your dog! Fit in fun with your dog after the gym. Any schedule that fits your lifestyle would work but here’s an example for gym days; go home after work, let the dog out, then give him some toys and head to the gym. Workout, then come home and make dinner. Eat, then take the dog for a walk. You could also make one of your gym days on the weekend when you have more time.

@bugznelson When our Wire Fox Terrier was young, he kept me in shape with sometimes 5 walks a day plus playtime. Now he’s 16 and I miss those days! (As another person suggested, I do weight training and yoga at home.)

@bugznelson My dog is older (husky mix) so maybe she is more self-sufficient in the evening, but I walk her immediately after work, feed her dinner, and then go to gym from 6:30-9 (martial arts) 3 evenings a week. We hang out after that, I eat a late dinner, shower, laundry, and go to bed 11-12. Sometimes I take her for another 15 min walk after I get home from gym. I don't wake up as early as you but maybe you could go to bed at 10-11.

@bugznelson Bringing your dog on errands can help, too. If you're running around going to the shops, bring him with you for quality time and mental stimulation. I raise a SDiT, and were taught that mental enrichment is even more important than physical exercise, and tires them out just as much.

Obviously your dog can't come into every store with you, but if you drive, he can come for the ride and wait in the car with a toy while you're grocery shopping, then wander Home Depot with you, then sit on the coffee shop patio with you while you meet with a friend. A few hours of this will be exhausting for him. If you live in a safe area and the weather allows it, you could leave him in the car (windows cracked, obviously) while you work out, then drive straight to the park to let him have a run.

Most importantly, learning to settle quietly at home (with or without you) is the best skill you can give him. I know it's harder with a high-energy breed, but in guide dog school they really emphasise this as many of our disabled clients are frequently housebound or stuck in bed due to their medical conditions. Create his own little space for him (like a crate, a nook under the stairs, etc), trick it out with a great bed, some blankets over top to make it like a little cave, and reward any time he chooses to spend there. Throw treats in when he's not looking, so he finds them later on. Only give him his frozen Kongs or favourite chews when he's in there, to build a positive association. Hope this helps!