How do I get my dog to stop peeing in our new apt?

mrscelland

I have a lab/dioxin mix. Recently we moved from a house (where he can run around all day and be left outside when we are gone), to an apt. (less room, new stuff, new room mate, new cats). We walk him 4-5 times a day to make sure he doesn't have to use the bathroom anymore while we are gone. Collectively, he is by himself 3-4 hours a day at the most. He pees on things everytime he is alone. Even our new room mates things. I'm not entirely sure if he is peeing to mark his new home (bc he still has his balls) or he is stressed. How do I get him to stop peeing everywhere?

@mrscelland Hey! Come on join us in /r/dogtraining!

A few questions to get started
  • How old is your dog?
  • Is he neutered?
  • What kind of training if any have you done?
Like I said come join us in /r/dogtraining... House training and related potty breaks are common issues and there is a lot there you might find helpful. One of the first things you'll likely be pointed toward is crate training, if you're unfamiliar don't be scared off by the idea of containment.

Moving is stressful! Dogs regularly need around 3 months to get fully resettled in a new environment. Sometimes longer. Dogs will exhibit their stress in different ways, this new marking behavior may be part of that. (For example, a dog humping everything and everyone can also be a sign of anxiety and stress.)

So yes, /r/dogtraining and look into crate training!

@mrscelland Get the balls removed. He's a mixed breed, he's never going to get laid anyway. Treat everything he's peed on with an enzymatic cleaner, available at pet supply stores. Don't just sprinkle it on, soak it. Spray the peed on areas with DAP, also available at pet supply stores or online.

Back