Hi! I’m hoping to get some judgement-free assistance regarding getting a puppy from a breeder for the first time

chpjoe

I fell in love with the dachshund breed in 2007 when I got my first doxie, Lucy. I wasn’t very knowledgeable about the avenues to get puppies, at the time, and I purchased her from a pet store for $550. After that I learned how pet stores tend to get their puppies and I began working with rescues. I adopted 2 dachshund mixes and fostered 6 other dachshund & mix breed pups. Now my Lucy is 14 1/2 and I really would like another dachshund, preferably a puppy. Pet stores are out. I’ve been searching rescues for close to a year. I cannot find a puppy or young adult that does not already have serious health concerns from a rescue or shelter or one that will adopt to a MA resident. So, I started researching area breeders.

I went to the AKC website and found 1 breeder in my state that seemed like a good fit. Good reviews, happy customers on Facebook, constant updates on the new litters- but a long waitlist. I then found a breeder in another state. Also great reviews, shows a lot of their dogs, has a good Facebook presence and…. Available puppies. So I called. And…. Sticker shock is the only way I can call my reaction. The information that I found online said that dachshunds typically cost between $ 1,500 to $3,000. The breeder that I spoke to said that those prices were for backyard breeders. Her price- $6,500 to $15,000.

I realize that a lot goes into breeding so that a healthy puppy is produced. Plus, all of the costs that come with breeding, like vet bills, testing, supplies, etc. So, I guess what I’d like to know is what is a reasonable price for a healthy puppy that I do not want to breed or show? Should I trust the AKC breeder list (which fell into the price point that I found online) or is the person that I spoke with the true representation for price?

Also, what questions should I be asking breeders before I decide on a puppy? What should be included in the purchase price? Is there anything else that I should know before I go that route?

@chpjoe That seems like an awful lot to me. I breed a rare breed and just purchased a puppy from an American breeder for $3500 to be imported to me. That's fairly standard purchase price for a reputable breeder in my breed in the US who shows/trials/health tests/etc.

@chpjoe I’ve been involved in dogs for 30 years and the only dogs I have heard of that have been sold for that price are pups from international champions in multiple countries.

That’s insane money. I used to show Daschunds about a decade ago. Never bred them but I know that pups go for roughly €1,000 - €2,000. I doubt that price has gone much higher, even with inflation. What is the name of this kennel? Feel free to dm if you don’t want to mention it publicly. I’d love to know more about their dogs, if they are selling for that price.

@definedbytruth During lockdown I saw puppymill dogs sell for much higher prices than champion line puppies.

In my breed I would say that a normal price for a well bred FCI puppy is around 1500 euro to 2500 euro. Depending on region and the pedigree. I bought mine last autumn for 2000 euro. Father is champion but the mother didn't make into the ring on time because of covid. Reasonable pedigree, a good amount of champions but not the top breeder in the region either. The health testing was a bit beyond the minimum requirement.

@definedbytruth yeah but responsible breeders did not raise their price, it was only the dodgy ones. But the waiting lists were longer. I went on a waiting list in spring 2020 and took my puppy home in autumn 2021.

I don't know if waiting lists have gone back to normal in Europe. I think it might also depend on the popularity of the breed and litter size. A dalmatian breeder who breeds once a year might have 8 or even 10 puppies from that litter. A Dachshund or pomeranian breeder who breeds once a year might only have 1 or 3 puppies.

@chpjoe In addition to AKC, I would recommend contacting the Dasuchund Club of America. Their website has a list of recommended breeders and they also list the name and email of their Breeder Referral Chair whom you can contact with questions.

http://www.dachshundclubofamerica.org

Also, my all-time favorite guide to finding a good breeder is in the about section of the r/dogs subreddit. It lists all the red/orange/green flags that can arise when interviewing breeders: https://reddit.com/r/dogs/w/identif...eeder?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app

@chpjoe As a dachshund breeder in NC, that price is ludacris. My friend has Grand Champion parents (both) her pups sell for $2300. If you want a healthy, well bred dog wait lists are going to happen. If a breeder has puppies year round on demand, that is a backyard breeder. Trust me when I say, the wait is worth it. It gives you a chance to really learn about the breeder and their program. You will learn more about your puppy’s personality and temperament. You may want to consider traveling to the next state also. When I get puppies from my breeder, it’s a 16.5 hour drive one way and a hotel room over night. I would never get a dog from anyone else.

@chpjoe The AKC is not a relatable website to find a good breeder.

http://www.dachshundclubofamerica.org/dca-breeder-directory/

Always use the breed clubs website to find a breeder. I’m not sure where you’re located but it’s likely you may have to travel some and/or have the puppy shipped to you in some cases. Prices may vary on breeder and what type of testing/titling they do etc but 6500 seems steep. I would restart your search on the club website.

@sheba92766 Thank you for that link! I’m located in Massachusetts (US). A lot of rescues won’t adopt to MA residents because they have to jump through a lot of hoops. I had never really considered going through a breeder and have no idea how to choose a reputable one. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

@chpjoe Dachshunds are a breed riddle with different diseases and there are many many back yard breeders in the breed. Some general guidelines to follow for looking at any breeder are:
  1. Do they show or do sport with their breeding dogs? Typically doing confirmation shows or sports and titling prove the dog is of good health and temperament. So a good breeder will only breed dogs that have done some type of sport/show and have won titles in those sports/shows.
  2. Do they do all health testing necessary? This ranged from breed to breed. You can usually find the recommended tests on the breed club site or by going to OFA’s website and looking at the breed your interested in. Like I said dachshunds are not a generally healthy breed unfortunately, but the good breeders that are out there are doing all the genetic testing, all the orthopedic testing, etc etc (you can find the OFAs requirements for dachshunds here: https://www.ofa.org/recommended-tests?breed=DH )to preserve the health of the breed. You generally don’t see any of this in backyard breeders as they don’t generally care for the health of the dogs. Be careful of breeders who claim to do health testing but actually don’t as well. If they can’t provide you with a CHIC# or link you to their dogs on the OFA website they are probably lying about having the testing done. Also this testing can’t be done until the age of 2 of breeding dogs so anyone breeding a dog younger than 2 is a backyard breeder.
  3. Do they breed for color? No good breeder will charge more for a dog of any specific color (there are some exceptions to this in more rare breeds I’ve seen)
  4. Make sure the dog comes in the correct fur type, dachshunds can only be wire, short, or long coated. There are two body sizes as well miniature and standard.
  5. Does the breeder have a contract? Will they take back your dog in the event you are unable to keep them? No good breeder will allow their puppies to end up in rescue or in a shelter. Do they have any health guarantee in the contract? How do they vet future owners? Do they ask questions to you? Good breeders want to know where their dogs are going. They also want to make sure they pick the right dog for YOU and your lifestyle. So they should be asking what kind of personality you’re looking for. You should not be able to choose your own dog sight unseen.
  6. Finally once you speak to a couple breeders and build an understanding you can ask about being added to their puppy list for their next littler. Most quality breeders will only have 1-3 litters a year depending on breed, how many breeding dogs they have, etc. but with that you can usually put down a deposit on a future puppy and they will let you know their breeding plans so you can adequately plan for your puppy.
I think those are the general things to look for in a breeder. It’s a lot, but it assures you a healthy dog that will have somewhere to go if something were to happen and you couldn’t keep the dog. Those things are most important to me when I’m looking for a breeder.

@chpjoe A long wait list isn’t a bad thing, a good breeder almost always has one. That said, If you really want a nice, healthy dog you might have to travel a bit. A 4-6 hour car ride is totally worth it once the puppy is in your arms.

Back