Hey all, so I’ve been training my collie(she’s nearly 6 months) I’m a first time owner and have a few questions :)

robbentley

I’ve been using treats to train obedience and discipline and using the cue ‘yess’ once she’s done the correct behaviour she loves it and knows exactly what it means but I’m trying to wean her off the treats, is it fair to still use the word ‘yes’ and not give a treat every time? She doesn’t mind not getting a treat but also isn’t keen to impress without treats(working on that)

Another one, she’s absolutely ball mad and often has it around the house. Is it okay for her to have it to herself when I’m doing things? She walks around with it, drops and picks it up, chews it and watches it… is it bad for her to have it all the time?? It’s the only toy she doesn’t get bored of within 5 min

She’s so damn intelligent it’s a blessing and a curse I’m learning
TIA

@robbentley Treats are only one form of reinforcement. There are other reinforcers that can be used.

Keep in mind that your yes is a success reward marker word. You can pair that with any reinforcer.

Other reinforcers that are not food based are toys and social/environmental reinforcers.

@robbentley Treats can be used in 3 ways: lures, rewards, and bribes. If she's learned the behaviors, you don't need lures anymore, and bribes should never be used. If you're worried you're relying on food, I'd strongly recommend Simpawtico's videos on phasing out food rewards, but it sounds like access to the ball would be a great reward in training scenarios, as would your enthusiastic praise, and physical interaction like pets. That said, if you end up training new things, or move to a super distracting environment, for instance, I'd definitely use the treats if she finds them valuable.

@robbentley I'm not an expert on this one, but I tend to lean toward chew toys being accessible all the time and interactive toys accessible only when they're playing with you...however, that said, if this is Her Thing and you can tell it's like a safety blanket and a favorite toy all in one...that one I'll leave to you. :)