Herm Sprengrr 3.0 short or regular link?

charids13

Pros and cons? My 70ish pound GSD has out grown his 2.25 weight wise. He responds well on the 2.25. I had a 3.2 handy but noticed he doesn’t respond as well on it. I’m looking at the 3.0 gauge but saw they have a 3.0 short link that’s supposed to be similar to the 2.25 because it has more prongs for corrections. My pup has a smaller neck so I’m wondering if the short will be better.

Side note: I have the extra 2.25 links but for some reason my 2.25 just keeps coming undone. Plus my dog is now in the 70lb range so I kind of want to try a 3.0. I actually reached out to Herm springer because it was my end link that kept coming off. They sent me a new one but it’s still an issue.

@charids13 Common with the 2.25. They get bent over time when using them on large dogs, and seems like the black ones especially pop off. You can either bend them back into shape with pliers or replace any bent links, and add additional as needed to fit.

Or size up to the 3.0. I like the short links because you get a more precise fit, ie there is less of a jump in size if you add or take out a single link.

@charids13 They aren't really, as a heads up. The reason dogs are more sensitive to the 2.25 is the smaller gauge means the ends are "pointy-er," not because there are more links. The fit thing is what matters to me.

@danmat777 Is it true? Like if I'm lying on a bed of nails I want more nails not less right?

I don't know that I've ever directly compare the 3.0 and 3.0 short link, but definitely find dogs are less sensitive to the 3.0 than the 2.25.

@clintpauljohnson Yes you would want more, because in this scenario the nails are the same size so your body weight being distributed across more of them means there is less weight being applied to each nail.

If you want an easy experiement, press against the top of your head with your palm as hard as you can, then with the tip of one finger.

@ryryxd2221111 Yeah that’s the part I agree with. Smaller gauge means sharper pressure.

The comment I replied to said, I believe, that more links also mean more pressure (3mm vs 3mm short link) and I’m not sure about that.

@amd358 It’s not lose. My trainer fitted him for it. But it is constantly coming off! So frustrating. I think it could be because my dog is a long haired GSD? I’m not sure though

@amd358 Oh I don’t have a photo of it right now, but I put it up high on his neck. If I were to take one more link out I wouldn’t be able to get it on him.

@amd358 I also have a safety back up but it’s frustrating that the collar keeps coming undone so it’s making me think maybe I need to get a larger one.

Back