Help with Low Fat Diet for small dog !!??

mbo4

The vet has recommended a low fat (3%) for my 15.5-lb dog. She is 9 years old next month & has no health issues. She is not overweight and still active though not as much as when she was younger. Last week, I took her to the vet because she was not acting like herself in small ways. The only thing the vet found "wrong" with her, is that her Triglycerides are high (double what they should be). He said that the most common cause of this is too much fat in her diet. That is the background, now here are my questions & request for information.

1) On the packaging of all the dog food and treats the label reads "Crude Fat (Min) .... %". Does that mean the manufacturer will/may have added a higher amount of Fat? i.e. when the package says 3% there may actually be 10% in the product?

2) Does anyone know of or have a recommendation for a good (no grain added) dog food both wet and dry with 3% Fat or less? She eats a small meal twice a day - 1T of wet & 1/8c of dry.

BTW - to compensate for the Fat loss, the vet recommended adding (in pill form) skin supplements ... Fish Oil, either Omega 3 or 6. Again, does anyone know of or have a recommendation for this 3% or less brand of fish oil for dogs?

Thank you for any information & help you can provide as all this is new to me.

Back