Help teaching dogs to not chase sheep?

yankeetrotzulu

I have a Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix (4 yo, F) and a Blue Heeler/Aussie mix ( 5 mo, M). Any way to help train them to not chase my sheep? I know they’re heard in breeds, but I don’t want them to. Any way to help lower their chasing/herding drive?

@yankeetrotzulu You probably have to teach them how to herd, and then teach them an “off” switch for it. For example, when they wear a particular harness, they’re working and they’re allowed to herd. No harness, no herding.

@yankeetrotzulu There are ways you can work on this, with a professional who actually knows what they are doing, but honestly...how did you end up with such a mix without considering the fact that that's literally what they were bred for? It's a little bit appaling if I have to be honest, it's their nature after all, and forcing it the other way around isn't that simple.

@janfreed7 I know. We bought the female from a farm when she was a puppy. The male was free at an auction, and dad was the one to get him… I know they were bred for herding animals. I just don’t want them to chase and spook the sheep…