[Help] Purina Pro Plan Salmon?

jellybean11

Hello!

My pup is currently on Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Focus - chicken base. He is not a fan, he spits the kibbles out etc

I have learned he enjoys fish - and Purina Pro Plan comes in a fish blend - but it does have pea protein

Salmon, Brewers Rice, Barley, Canola Meal, Fish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols, Oat Meal, Salmon Meal, **Pea Protein,** Natural Liver Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Chicory Root Inulin, Fish Oil, Salt, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7)), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C). A-4387.

Should this be avoided? Worried about DCM - I know it is grain free foods, but the pea protein concerns me!

@jellybean11 I wouldn’t worry too much about the pea protein since it’s pretty far down the ingredient list. There are multiple salmon formulas of pro plan, do they all contain pea protein? I think there’s a focus and a sport one.

@jellybean11 Ah ok, not sure about the small breed ones. But if I were you I wouldn’t worry about the pea protein. Far down the list. So if your dog does well on the food, it seems like a good option

@jellybean11 I think its the pro plan my dog has been eating. The sensitive skin and stomach formula its all black bag.

I got her both the salmon and the lamb(I think) flavor. She hates the new food. I think its cause i treated her all boujee like and now her taste buds are high class. She'll eventually eat it, but she's been eating less and now I have to coerce her to eat the dry food.

I think its a good food though especially with the added fiber which is important.

Idk imagine a high fiber food salmon and rice flavored or something similar... its probably bland as crap cause its a "heslthy" food. Try putting a wet food topper on. I tried hiding treats inside like the dinosaur egg oatmeal but it doesn't work that well shell nibble until the treats are gone and leave it all day to go stale