Help! My wife and I brought out dog to quarantine with her family, and he's being aggressive with their dog and HER DAD :(

anglic9823

My wife and I brought our 4 year old dog G to her parents house to quarantine. He went after their dog L today, about an hour after we got here (they had been playing together and hanging out previously), and then snapped at her again a couple hours later. Way worse, G snapped at her dad later that night!

G has been to the house 3 or 4 times before, often for multiple days, and has always gotten along great with L.

As for my father in law, our dog has known him since he was a puppy, and he was previously one of our dog's favorite people on Earth.

Our dog has been mixed in his reaction to dogs for a while now, but he's never changed his opinion before. As for people, this is the second time he's snapped at someone in the last two months, but they're the only two times he's ever been aggressive with a human in his life.

I know I need to get him in with a trainer, but it being a pandemic and all, I'd love some tips on how to handle this for the time being since staying here is by far the safest option for our health.

@anglic9823 Without knowing what was going on during each incident theres not much advice anyone can give.

But the best advice for now is - whatever was triggering each snap should stop.

Keep in mind that everyone is more stressed right now and dogs can literally smell that. It will make the dogs more on edge too.

So, to counteract that make sure each dog has their own space. Puppy gates can be used to seperate them for down time, and theyll enjoy being together more when they each get alone time too.

Food, high value treats, or toys may need to be removed and given in seperate rooms.

Make sure both dogs are getting enough mental and physical exercise, and solo time with their people. You've really changed things for your dog - and your pup doesnt understand why. Do the best you can to set a new schedule and stick to it.

And the humans involved should be calm and patient.

Here are a few videos on body language, so you all can recognize early signs a dog is uncomfortable and stop a situation before it escalates: