[help] My aussie has high pH and protein in urine, but bloodwork is normal

miketexas

My 6-year-old male mini aussie had bladder stones and a UTI in October. After antibiotic and acidifers (to bring down pH), his urinalysis came back great. He was also put on a grain-free diet for preventative measures against the stones. A few months later, he seemed to be having symptoms of a UTI so I took him back to the vet. The vet found he didn't have a UTI, however, his pH was off the charts and he had a lot of protein in his urine. The vet decided to do some bloodwork which came back normal. She decided to put him back on acidifiers (metheonine) and recommended we change his food to something with a lower protein content. We did this. We have done one urinalysis at the vet since (one month after) and the vet said his pH levels and protein levels did drop a little but not much. I have been using urine dipsicks at home for the past 6-8 weeks to check up on his pH and protein content, and he still has high protein and pH. I will be going back to the vet again this week. Luckily, he has been acting perfectly normal. He still seems to be happy, playful, have a lot of energy, and not be in pain.

I am wondering if anyone can share any insight or advice. I have done so much research on my own, and I can't seem to find answers. I am worried. I have been doing everything my vet says, but its been months and I am beginning to worry since so much time has gone by and he isn't getting better.

@miketexas I am having the exact same problem right now. My vet said it is likely the grain free food. She suggested adding cooked white rice to their diet as she said she's never seen a food allergy to rice in dogs.