Help!!! My 9 week old puppy won’t stop biting me

trang1966

Brought my puppy home last week, all was fine, the biting started so I tried to use the owwww technique and walking away, made the mistake of trying to pick up his ball that slid under the couch he got me good in the ear. It bled, anyway now he won’t stop biting me. I was able to play with home before and get his energy out and now he just wants to bite me not his toys, well only for a little while. He won’t drop his toys at my feet anymore to fetch, he takes them away loses interest and then starts biting furniture. We’ve just started his crate training a couple days ago.

@trang1966 He's only 9 weeks old and you've only had him for a week. Give it time. Try different techniques to stop him from biting but don't expect anything to work over night. My puppy is 4 months old and is teething so he's being very mouthy during play and just in general. It takes time.

@idivjohn Thank you, I don’t know. I realized he wasn’t sleeping enough before and now am crate training to have more control of his naps. I felt bad thinking is he being crated too long? I’ll try to count his awake time and see if it’s just my perception. I just thought it would not be this much biting as it didn’t start off like this. He growls now too.

@trang1966 For the biting, if you're sure it's not because he's tired or needs the toilet, make sure you remove eye contact while you redirect or remove yourself from the situation. None of the advice worked with my Aussie until I stopped looking at him.

@rebekah_h Okay I’ll keep trying that. Maybe I need a puppy gated area to keep his free space smaller. I got a baby gate to allow him the main areas to move about but last I moved away he didn’t seem to care anymore and just went on to chewing something else.

@trang1966 Heres how i addressed it:

If yelping doesnt work i have a way that i used for my very mouthy puppy that was incredibly effective. Put the dog on a longer leash, 10 feet or so. Tie to something solid. Go to interact with him and play with a toy. As soon as he mouths say "uh oh" and walk around the coner (with the toy) out of sight for 15 seconds. Then go back and go to play again as if nothing happened. Youre teaching him that when he mouths all the fun stops and its just boring.

As he learns the idea and gets better you can start upping the stakes. So for me next when my puppy was latched onto the toy i started touching her body all over. Then when she was good with that i went up to interact with no toy at all. Then i tried bouncing around with more energy etc etc. She was 80% better within a week.

It also works with the puppy in a play pen and you just leave the pen. Make sure to invovle everyone in the family including kids so the puppy learns the rules apply to everyone. If you can enlist a friend or someone else to also practice this it just reinforces that the rules always apply. Also always end on a positive. Be prepared for the puppy to have his stubborn moments where you may have to do lots of repitions in a row because he might get frustrated. But you want him to learn that the rules still apply when hes frustrated. You may lose a couple pairs of pants like i did but its oh so worth it.

Also tons of praise when the puppy is playing appropriately with the toy. You want him to know when hes doing the right thing. When my girl was loose i always had a leash attached to her so if she mouthed i could hold her away from me and take her immediately to the other leash to do the training (this was ALWAYS supervised of course). The first few days was tons of reps. If the puppy is getting better and suddenly regresses, its basically like a cranky toddler that needa sleep. Crate and give them a chance to nap. Of course make sure they have lots if appropriate outlets for chewing as needed.

Theres never any punishment with this, no harsh tones with the dog. Simply a cue word to mark the undesireable behaviour and a removal of the thing they want (play and interaction with you).

@trang1966 Well biting you is probably way more fun than biting on the toys.

Enforced resting.

Feeding most of the food from Kong's.

Puppy playpen or puppy supermax as I call it.

Intelligence toys and snuffle mats.

Lots of enforced resting.

Very short walkies. Like only 100-150 yards.

Chewing roots.

And never react in an interesting manner if you get bitten.
Just stand up, walk away and stop.

@heremiah Chewing roots? Never heard of that; what type of roots? Mine's long past teething, but I am very curious because she was terrible and I want all the tools next time lol

@trang1966 Trade him biting you for something else such as a hard toy. Puppies teeth like babies. They like to chew. Reward him when he is chewing on his toys. Correct him with down or no when he’s chewing on you. Sometimes a quick time out works in the kennel when they’re getting too wound up.

@trang1966 Yelping doesn’t work with my puppy, but one thing I have noticed is letting her nibble on my hand and praising her and saying yes when she’s gentle and removing myself for a bit when she does it too hard. I specifically do when she just woke up because she’s naturally more gentle with her “bites” at that time. My puppy is older and probably bigger than yours but one thing I do for her teething is freeze Persian cucumbers she loves them. For the toys one thing I saw (have not tried but maybe it will help) is to separate their toys into groups and rotate them every few weeks so it’s like they get new toys and maybe they will be a bit more interested. I felt the same about forcing the naps but that helps too. When she doesn’t get enough sleep she can be a little gremlin.

@sonofgodbrotherofman I will definitely try these tips! Thank you so much for your response. I just purchased him another toy tonight. It’s a teething toy so fingers crossed that helps. I’ll try the rotation thing because I’m spending a small fortune lol 😆 I love to spoil him but I feel like I need to slow down and maybe that will help him not get bored so quickly (rotating).

@trang1966 I’m think a lot of us overstimulate our pups to a big degree. Too much play, too little chill time.

But this is when you teach bite inhibition. And that takes time. Several months. But it’s an important thing to learn.

When his teeth come in it won’t hurt as much anymore. So 4-5 months old it’s a lot better.

Keep ouching at the most painful bites and walk away.