[help] Moving a 3 y/o Pitbull in with a 10 y/o Cat?? (Crosspost--also asking on r/catadvice)

tim123456

Not happening any time soon, but my boyfriend and I are planning to move in together within the next 1 to 2 years, so of course we talk all the time about what it will be like. Neither of us want to move out without our pets, and he has a 2 or 3 (maybe 4 at this point?) year old american pitbull. For reference, since I've seen pitbulls come in a lot of shapes and sizes, he's pretty tall, all muscle, yet not as boxy/wide in the face or chest. He's super adorable and has really calmed down a lot in the past year or so, but he's never been around a cat (that we know of, anyway). He does try to chase squirrels and stuff, though. He gets along with other digs fine, I'm pretty sure.

My cat is about 10, getting friendlier towards people all the time, and currently lives with my parents' two dogs (a cattle dog/border collie mix and a mutt who basically looks like a taller and thinner aussie shepherd). Well actually, it was three dogs until this past monday. Our first border collie was with us for 13 years, and they got along great. The second dog tried to "hunt"/stalk our cat at first, but now they get along ok, and the third dog is indifferent. But whenever a new dog comes over (we dog sit a lot for my sister's dog), my cat hides the entire time.

I was thinking maybe a baby gate or something with a cat door, so they can see each other, but my cat can come out when he's comfortable and have a place to hide? Just wondering if anyone has any tips on introducing them to each other, or who has been in similar situations. Ps. I'm not saying he's a pitbull because I think he's more vicious or anything, just for the sake of how big and strong he is and that, while he's more calm than he used to be, he's still got a fair bit of energy.

@tim123456 A 10 year old cat? I'd leave the cat with your parents. It's not fair to use her to "see" if your BF's terrier is ok with cats or not.

A terrier who has never lived with cats, and an older cat probably won't end well.

@tim123456 The problem with pitbulls and cats is becuase it's a terrier. Same issue with hounds and northern breeds, they are generally prey driven. Cant guarentee that you dog is going to treat a cat different than a squirell. Even some dog friendly dogs chase and attack other dogs if they are small enough to look like small animals, part of that brain kicks in.

Not saying that you can't manage it but itll be when you are not looking, itll turn on like a light bulb and happen.
I've trained my 1 year old mostly pit-mix (who also is 12% husky lol), from not pulling torwards squirells or birds, and I can call her away if she is out on a long line. She trots by but still is intensely interested/watches while walking, will look back looking back and forth at me. That took alot of work and still working on it.

Recently Had a baby squirrel drop out of a tree and she got it in the backyard. Took it and tossed it around a bit until we came out to her and told her to drop it. Luckily my dog was somewhat clueless on what to do with it yet, it lived and mom squirrel got it, but goes to show no matter how much training we put in (6+ months) when given the chance, instinct will kick in.

@tim123456 I’d set up a permanent dog free zone in the house for the cat. Maybe it’s a room cordoned off by a baby gate or cat door that the dog cannot fit into, but whatever it is the place must allow the cat to get away from the dogs if they wish and the dogs should be trained to not go in there.

I would also supervise their early interactions and keep the pitbull on a sturdy, short leash during the first few meetings. While most pitbulls are fine with people, they do typically possess a very high prey drive as they are terriers. Terriers who are not socialized with cats from a young age can end up seeing cats as prey, so I would be cautious about every aspect of this.

A dog who sees another animal as prey will not display the usual signs we associate with aggression, as prey prompts an entirely different set of behaviors. These behaviors are increased or unusual interest in the animal, fixation on the animal and signs of heightened arousal.

If the pitbull starts displaying such behavior, then it would be best to leave the cat with your parents. Prey drive and predatory behavior is not something that can be trained away.

@kjcolt Yeah, there will be a cat-only section for sure. One of the dogs that my cat currently lives with displays predatory behaviors, so I do know what to look for. Just so no one worries, he's never gone after the cat (maybe he did at the very beginning, but I don't think so). He just, very clearly, stalks the cat. It did take them a while, but now they can be in the same room without the dog bothering him—not every time, but most of the time.

@tim123456 Just make sure the cat has places to go where the pitbull can't - a gate should suffice.

I'm not saying he's a pitbull because I think he's more vicious or anything, just for the sake of how big and strong he is and that

Okay, that's useful.

I'd introduce them slowly. Get them used to smelling each other. Check their reactions. This should not be a problem notwithstanding preconceived notions/behaviors from said animals. They'll get along just fine.