Help me choose a DIET food please!

dillydilly0903

Hello, my male beagle Dobby is 2 years old, but a little on the heavy side. He is castrated (medical problems) which also helps with him gaining weight.

He is 20kg/44lbs. I'm feeding him with Eucanuba Adult /Chicken/, but the vet suggested to change the food to a diet one and lose 3-4kg/6-8lbs. After a little research, the options I have are:
  1. Eukanuba Daily Care Weight Control
  2. Hill's Science Plan Adult
  3. Purina Pro Plan Medium Adult
Help me choose one please!

Thank you!

@dillydilly0903 Are you US based? Giving kg and saying castrated instead of neutered makes me think you might be overseas and usually people here give the answer to stay away from Eukanuba in Europe because they don't own the facilities that make their food over there (which is a WSAVA safety guideline)

@dillydilly0903 All three are excellent options, I’m partial to Hills so I would start there but you can’t go wrong with any of them. Your dog may end up deciding for you lol if he doesn’t like one of them or it doesn’t agree with his tummy so I wouldn’t stress between these options and just try one out.

@dillydilly0903 My Aussie is currently on Pro Plan, but he’s been on Hills before and did really good on it! He’s lost weight on both so they’re effective! I really wanted to try out the Eukanuba but it’s a little out of my budget and is hard to find consistently in stores.

@dillydilly0903 The great news here is that you won't go wrong with any of these three. They're all really good science-backed options.

Is there one of these options that is more accessible to you or more in line with your budget? Pick that one!

I personally really like Pro Plan and find that it's super palateable for my dog so that's my instinct but that's really just a personal preference.

@dillydilly0903 I've never fed my dog Eukanuba, my dog hated Hill's and now he's on Purina Pro Plan, so I would go with Purina Pro Plan. Also Royal Canin is good. PPP makes a weight management formula.

Back