Help Grooming a Cocker Spaniel

kayleighbethh

I have a four year old cocker spaniel with bad anxiety so groom him at home.

The clippers I use are Wahl Deluxe Combo these.

When I’ve been cutting my dog, it takes me literally all day and it feels like it doesn’t make any difference. For example, his back should be quick to do and the hair should come off, but it can literally take hours.

Is it obvious what I’m doing wrong? I’ve tried going from a high number and working my way down to a 1. I’ve tried starting on a 1 and doing small patches as I go. I go with the grain of the hair.

I’m not wanting it to look perfect, I just need the hair to come off.

@kayleighbethh These are not appropriate clippers for grooming a cocker spaniel. They have very thick coats and you will need to use professional equipment. The cheapest I would recommend are the andis 2 speed professional clippers. You will need blades for these clippers as well. If aesthetics are not a factor consider shaving nose to tail with a #10 blade. You will need at least 2.

Please consider that cockers in particular have extensive grooming needs and I would heavily encourage you to seek the help of a professional. We work with many anxious pets. You're risking neglecting basic grooming needs and possibly injuring your pet by doing this at home with inappropriate equipment and no experience.

@ohgemma They're £150, with two 10 blades that's probably over £200. Really no need to spend that amount of money on home grooming. Also I'd argue a 10 is too short for a cocker spaniel, I do mine in the salon on a 7 (though yes I know the dangers of the 7 blade especially for the inexperienced)

@kayleighbethh To properly groom a cocker you need a clipper that you can change out the blades.

Use a 7 for the neck and back. A 10 for the face, skull, top of ears and sanitary. A 30 or 40 for pads of feet and inside of ears.

The reason I always used a 40 on the inside of the ears was to help cut down on moisture since cockers are prone to ear infections.

@bfg33 I honestly wouldn't suggest a pet owner to do a 40 on the insides of the ears, or a 30 on paw pads. Both areas are so easy to cut, when starting at school we did paw pads on a 10 because it's safer

@rickt65 You are less likely to cut a dog using a 30 or 40 than any other blade. The lower the number the larger the spacing between the teeth. You can catch a piece of the ear in those spaces. It is impossible to do this with a 30 or 40.

Thanks everyone. So I’m an amateur who’s done it for the past two years, but admittedly, still sort of fudge it. I’m super careful and don’t risk anything with the “fiddly” bits.

We have tried taking him to a professional (for the first couple of years he was fine with them) but the groomer said it would be cruel to cut him herself because of how anxious he was.

What would people advise then:

What clippers would be best for me to buy?

His hair is getting longer so it’s becoming more urgent

@kayleighbethh I used to use this exact set on my maltese and never had any problems. They do say in the instructions to go against the hair grain though, and I know cocker spaniels are the ones I most often have to reverse clip, I can brush the coat up and go over as many times as I like and get nothing off, then as soon as I reverse clip it all comes off at the length I want. Also wouldn't recommend working your way down the combs, pick one and go with it or it'll take off a few mm more each time and you're not really going to notice that coming off. Cocker spaniel I'd personally do a 3 in reverse, you can try the 1 the right way but if it's not working the 3 is the corresponding reverse blade

@rickt65 This is completely incorrect and dangerous advice in every regard.

Understand that this sub is full of professionals - give them time to respond.

While you may mean well you don't have the knowledge or experience to respond appropriately and give advice. Pet owners take responses on this sub seriously and you're risking giving someone confidence in inaccurate and dangerous advice that could result in their pets being injured.

This is a public space and anyone can comment here but consider whether you're really qualified to answer and what the consequences could really be if someone takes what you say into real world action.

Eta: I just saw in your comment history that you do seem to be a professional so definitely my apologies for assuming you were not based on your comment. I still stand by that advising someone to use clip combs in reverse to at home groom their cocker spaniel with extremely cheap clippers is very dangerous and tbh bizarre advice.

Back