Help choosing a pup

louy51

Any advice would be amazing!

**Introduction**

1) Will this be your first dog? If not, what experience do you have owning/training dogs?

* It will be my first dog since my family dog that we had growing up (Maltese cross Jack Russell). My partner has never had a dog.

2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a [reputable breeder]( http://ownresponsibly.blogspot.com/2011/07/identifying-reputable-breeder.html)?

* Not a huge preference either way

3) Describe your ideal dog.

* Medium to large sized dog. Enjoys a good walk (approx. an hour per day) but isn’t too demanding in terms of exercise – we do have ¾ of an acre of well-fenced garden and yard for it to explore. Is quite loving and affectionate. My partner and I both have hybrid work arrangements, so is eventually okay to be left on its own for a few days per week for a decent stretch of time (6-8 hours). Would really prefer something that isn’t inclined to bark too much.

4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why?

I’ve always loved Tollers, but think it might be a stretch for new dog owners. Considering a lab or a rough collie (but have heard they do bark quite a lot).

5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do?

* Recall so that we’re confident with it off-lead, but otherwise just general obedience

6) Do you want to compete with your dog in a sport (e.g. agility, obedience, rally) or use your dog for a form of work (e.g. hunting, herding, livestock guarding)? If so, how much experience do you have with this work/sport?

* No

**Care Commitments**

7) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day?

2-4 hours – but we don’t have kids or pressing requirements

8) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park?

* A walk of 60-90 minutes and there is a local dog beach nearby. We also have a very large garden for the dog (lots of interesting smells) to explore and play fetch in.

9) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly?

* Happy to do a decent amount of brushing or pay a professional. Can live with some shedding

**Personal Preferences**

10) What size dog are you looking for?

* Medium - large

11) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle?

* Okay with a decent amount of slobber and shedding, but not keen on a very vocal dog.

12) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced are

* Very – we want to be confident in our dog’s recall

**Dog Personality and Behavior**

13) Do you want a snuggly dog or one that prefers some personal space?

* Prefer snuggly

14) Would you prefer a dog that wants to do its own thing or one that’s more eager-to-please?

* A dog that enjoys being around us and a cuddle, but can spend the occasional 9-5 day on its own.

15) How would you prefer your dog to respond to someone knocking on the door or entering your yard? How would you prefer your dog to greet strangers or visitors?

* We aren’t looking for a guard dog and live in quite a crime-free rural area, so would prefer a dog that is overly-friendly rather than a dog that barks or warns us about strangers

16) Are you willing to manage a dog that is aggressive to other dogs?

* No – especially being new owners, we aren’t comfortable with the prospect of that

17) Are there any other behaviors you can’t deal with or want to avoid?

* Separation anxiety – we have seen how difficult this behaviour is first-hand and want to avoid.

**Lifestyle**

18) How often and how long will the dog be left alone?

* We both work hybrid, so would like for the dog to eventually be able to spend a few days on its own per week. This could be as the dog matures and isn’t an immediate requirement

19) What are the dog-related preferences of other people in the house and what will be their involvement in caring for the dog?

* Have been covered here

20) Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? What breed or type of animal are they?

* No

21) Will the dog be interacting with children regularly?

* No

22) Do you rent or plan to rent in the future? If applicable, what breed or weight restrictions are on your current lease?

* No

23) What city or country do you live in and are you aware of any laws banning certain breeds?

* In Australia, no laws that would be applicable

24) What is the average temperature of a typical summer and winter day where you live?

* We are in a cooler part of Australia but the average summer day reaches 25-30 degrees Celsius and winter can range from 7-14 degrees during the day.

**Additional Information and Questions**

25) Please provide any additional information you feel may be relevant.

* No additional information.

26) Feel free to ask any questions below.

@louy51 I might be being biased here as a Lab owner, but I’d pick another Lab any day of the week.
Our Snoopy is snuggly, barks very occasionally (if she sees a squirrel in the back garden) and is very (almost too) friendly with strangers. She’s also fine to be left on her own occasionally (most we’ve gone is 6 hours), but I imagine she can be left a lot longer than that. She will just sleep.
The only problem I can foresee is the recall. I’m not sure about other peoples’ Labs but Snoopy’s recall is terrible if she is distracted. However, we’ve only had her less than 3 months and I don’t think the previous owners did any recall training. So far with us it’s long-lead only as she will just run off and play with whoever is nearest. She also gets very hot if we go out for walks in +25 degree heat. But then we’re in the UK and our heat seems different somehow 😅

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

@jssceckert recall is all about training, and where most people get it wrong is incentive. for a reliable recall, pup has to feel that coming back to you is the best choice EVERY time. we never train recall without high-value treats (lab too) and his recall is 100% reliable.

I'd chime in to also say lab. it would be a grwat match for OP.

@jssceckert I have had 4 labs, including a 14 week old puppy right now. I also work with dogs, and study dogs full time in undergrad. IMO, a lab would be the perfect pal for OP. Never had to do any sort of behavior modification for any of my dogs, and they have all been trained extremely easily using treats. Tollers have very similar personalities as labs tbh, I cannot speak to their exercise requirements relative to labs, but any retriever will make a very biddable and incredible best friend.

@counselorwriterdad I have a Border Collie (rescue) that is exactly the same. I've spent thousands of dollars on training (which has continued at home). She has excellent recall if she's not distracted, but that's not really the point of recall. She's also very reactive. OTOH, my blue Cattle Dog can be running flat out after a squirrel and will stop immediately and come to me if I call him back.

That said, I would not recommend either breed for a first time owner, nor an owner that wants a quiet dog. My dogs don't bark when they are outside (training), but can be very vocally demanding when they think it's time for treats.

@jssceckert I have had a lab and she was great. She was fine just hanging out in the back yard and loved fetch. I would also recommend a pitbull. They do love cuddling. The one I have now is older but she still cuddles with the best of em.

@markw81 APBT are a high energy, high drive breed. And they are prone to dog on dog aggression and animal aggression. (I love them, they’re super versatile and capable dogs, this isn’t pitbull hate as all, it is in their breed standard). I don’t think they’d be a good fit for what OP is looking for.

@halpme I agree with this, I love the breed and would only own pits but they aren’t for everyone. Don’t think I would suggest one for a first time owner or someone who doesn’t have a lot of time to devote to proper training and socialization.

@julie121 My sentiments as well. Personally, doberman are my breed, but I’d never recommend them as a first time dog. Same goes for pitbulls. Bully mixes are hit or miss for first time owners, I think what OP is looking for is a lab or golden.

@markw81 Purebred APBT or bully mixes? What lines?

Anecdotes do not overwrite breed traits. Again, I love them, but it is quite literally in their genetics. They are VERY people friendly, but since they were bred for dog fighting they are prone to DA and AA. That doesn’t make them bad dogs by any means. It just means they are prone to it. My dog is prone to SSA, and that doesn’t make him a bad dog. Neither does APBT being prone to those things.

@jssceckert Another vote for a lab. They’re such good dogs and fit exactly what OP is looking for.

My labs recall is impeccable. She recalls off prey. I’ve never had a dog as trustworthy as she is off leash.

I really recommended long line training for recall! And HIGH value treats. My dog is 3 and I still use treats. She always, always gets paid for recalling when we’re out and about.

@louy51 Anecdotal Source: have grown up with labs, currently own a lab/golden mix, and sister owns rough collie (so collie sample size is 1)

Sounds like either of these breeds would work for you tbh - assuming conformation/“English” lab.

Barking: In my experience, both tend to alert bark, but are easily quieted. The collie is more vocal than labs when playing. And boy can that wrestle bark make your skin crawl 😅

Cuddle factor: labs are more cuddly. Collie will tolerate some snuggles but ultimately wants his space

Off lead: Both are fantastic. I’d say collie wins though because he’s was easier to train initially. Labs want to meet everyone and everything but the collie prefers to observe from a distance (I.e. close to us). He has little to no interest in running up on strangers.

Grooming: collie is way more difficult than lab. Burrs are my nemesis when I take him out for a hike

Size: the lab is wayyyy more substantial. Collie looks big but he’s actually all fluff. Very fine boned. Height wise, they’re quite similar

You mention a place for the dog to swim. Our Collie has absolutely no interest in swimming. Like. None. So if that’s one of your default exercise activities…. I’ve read this is pretty common for collies, so if you want a dog who loves the water, lab is for sure the winner in that arena.

Children: you said the dog won’t be around children frequently. In general, I’d say the lab is easier for infrequent child exposure. The collie is ok but he only sees my littles occasionally and def gets worked up a bit when they’re running around. The herding instinct can be tough to manage if you’re not used to it, but not a deal breaker. Especially if your dog will genuinely never have kids around. He’s easier to manage around strange kids than my Australian Shepherd was. So there’s that :)

You really can’t go wrong with a lab or a rough collie though. I love them both so much!

(Keep in mind these are all adult traits growing pains are there with both breeds until 2-3 years)

@louy51 If you like to have a bit more of a "not-so-common" breed compared to the labrador or golden retriever with similar personality traits, maybe a flat-coated retriever is a great fit.

Back