Help and advice with breeding

mommytoisabella

So I have a female akc registered German shepherd she just turn 2 years old and is currently in heat she is still in her first part of heat and is spotting blood she’s 7 days in so she isn’t ready to let the stud dog mount her is it smart to bring her over to the stud dog so he could start trying to mount obviously she isn’t going to let him as she isn’t ready but is it smart to let him start trying so when she is ready she’ll be more willing to let him mount or should I just wait until she is ready for him so simply what im asking is it wise to bring the female to the male stud dog before she is willing so she is ready she’ll be more likely to let him or should I just try to let him mount her when when she’s at the point in her heat cycle

@mommytoisabella Your bitch is not receptive until right before or at or just past ovulation. She is not physically ready to accept the male. You will just frustrate and upset both of them. Have Pegesterone drawn, see where she is in her cycle, and take her as it starts to go up. You can also go by discharge and change. The vulva will soften and the discharge will become pale pink or straw colored around ovulation unlike the bright red bleeding of early in the season or the dark red of going out.

Some bitches will accept a dog early but not all of them. You can traumatize and frustrate them with unsuccessful attempts. Ovulation and the fertilization windows are not wide open but rather quite exact. Early bereding may give you some guesses.

Take this time to get their brucellosis tests done and discuss CHV with the vet and see if the stud owner has had fading puppy syndrome in any litters.

@mommytoisabella I wouldn't recommend it, some bitches can get aggressive or very stressed when the male tries and she isn't ready. Follow Sugakyles comment and it should lead you well.

At best she will accept the male but its unlikely anything will come of it, at worst she might be aggressive or it may just stress her out alot.

Some stud owners will take dogs up to a week or more beforehand and board them and have the stud around the female but usually not in the same room or pen. Best to speak to the studs owner about what their process is.

Goodluck, hope you get your pups! 🐶