HELP! Adolescent rescue fear response- overstimulated and under-exercised

differentviews

UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM:

Hello Reddit- I'm back again! This one might be long- but I didn't see any posts referencing some of the specific issues I'm experiencing.

So, about 6 weeks ago, we adopted a blue heeler from a local rescue. Rambo, now 7.5 months old neutered male. VERY smart and loving. Great dog. Good transition into our home. Started formal obedience classes 2 weeks after we got him. Daily routine as follows:

5am wake up: Hour + walks/off-leash time in the morning, with some tug, fetch/frisbee once we get back home.

between 6-6:30 (depending on length of walk) eat out of a puzzle toy

6:30-7:30 free time

7:30 kennel up with brain toys, kong, stuffed bone

3:30 out of kennel- play time (flirt pole, fetch, frisbee, tug, 'find it', etc)

4:30pm Training of some kind (clicker train/Karen Pryor Protocol for relaxation/look at me, which hand, etc) duration depends on training (relaxation sometimes takes around 20 minutes)

6:30pm 1.5 hour walk/hike (20 minutes on leash to walk to green space and an hour+ offleash).

8pm eat out of puzzle toy

8:30-10pm lazy around with us, chew on some bones, or play by himself with various toys

*if we are home, Rambo is not in a kennel. He sleeps with us, and when possible (more frequently the more we trust him) he goes everywhere we go.

With this schedule, Rambo was VERY low key. Would relax, nap, never chewed anything other than allowed toys, responded well to training, good manners, would 'say please' before all doors, gateways, stairs, food, understood the 'down' and would behave appropriately, including towards our older dog, 5 yr old bulldog. All good for over a month. Until last week.
  1. Last week during a week of focus on 'loose leash walking' he became extremely frustrated at the slow movements of our walks and started tugging/biting/fighting the leash. He would drop it when I asked or if I stopped/turned my back, but would repeat this behavior frequently. Pulling me on-leash increased despite playing 'follow me', 'u-turn', etc..
  2. Saturday, we visited a dog park on a whim. He seemed to have a good time and was in great spirits afterwards. Took a nap when we got home. Wasn't really into his walk, but wanted to play flirt pole, so we did. Walk was only around 20 minutes on-leash.
The next morning (Sunday), when crossing an intersection, Rambo began biting/tugging the leash furiously on our walk, then nipped the back of my leg. At that point, while trying to get back home, every interaction we had went south. Man running (fixated but didn't bark), other dog (fixated and pulled), extremely and unusually distracted by barking dogs in yards. Would not sit, would not take treat, would not 'look at me', would not 'u-turn', when I tried the 'follow me' game, he came towards me (as expected) and then bit my arm instead of taking the click/treat.

Monday morning Rambo refused his walk. 0.15 miles in (6 minutes) and would not go further.

Monday afternoon/evening- he lost all leash manners, stopped returning the ball for fetch (will run past me to hide the ball somewhere), would chase ball/frisbee and then chew on it or leave it in the yard, would not return ball/frisbee. Only interested in digging cushions off of couch. Did not want to dig outside in yard in 'allowed' area. Did not want to 'find it' even with bacon. Would sniff for a few seconds and run to a different spot.

Monday night obedience class- it took us 10 minutes to walk from the car to the training center because of pulling/bad leash behavior. Once inside, he whined, would not settle and was only functioning at a 'basic' level. He fixated on a dachsund and had an extreme fear reaction (scuttled/rolled backwards) when a golden retriever looked at him. Our trainer (who I picked because she has a blue heeler said he was bored).

Walking to the car from training, he nipped me several times on the leash-side leg from hip to ankle. This escalated to nipping my husband and I when we were standing in the kitchen talking later that night.

Tuesday (yesterday)morning - He walked with me to a fenced in area, where I could let him off leash. No issues. Threw the ball, RACES to get it, refused to bring it. Raced around sniffing. Walk lasted 15 minutes before he wanted to go home (RAN home). Tried additional enrichment activities, fed out of puzzles, played tug, tried rolling ball in hallway. Nothing. Not interested.

Last night- went to a different fenced area a half-block from home with his backpack on (empty). Sniffed and ran around, I did not try to play, just allowed him to roam. Began to 'zoom' no issues, except he then began to 'shark bite' me as he raced by. One caught me by surprise (was from behind on the back of my leg) and it really hurt, and I yelled at him. We then went home. We set up enrichment activities- nothing. He starting 'herding' our dog, pulling cushions, running around with shoes. We put him in the kitchen behind a gate and he fell asleep. Once gate was opened, he resumed his bad behavior. He would sit when asked, so I ran through some obedience 'tricks' and he responded well. When finished, and I said- okay, all through! He lightly nipped my arm.

This morning, when we left the house for our walk, I took some new treats and his tug toy. Whenever I thought he was getting overstimulated we would play tug. This seemed to work well! He dropped the leash when I asked him to. No nipping. Walk lasted 15 minutes before he began whining and pulling towards home. Did some enrichment activities and he fell asleep at around 7am on the kitchen floor.

How we respond to nipping: We initially tried the normal suggestions: yelping, OUCH, etc. This did not work and made him think we were playing. Now we COMPLETELY ignore it: turn our backs with our arms folded and ignore him for 10-20 seconds or until he is in a 'down'. If this does not 'work' we will remove ourselves from the room and leave him alone for 30 seconds-1 minute. While on a walk, we simply stop and turn our backs. This works sometimes, but others it just means he continues nipping 1-4 more times before stopping.

I am trying hard not to have an emotional response to this, but it's really difficult. I KNOW he has excess energy and I have tried everything (nosework, mental stimulation, other enrichment exercises) but how can I help him if he refuses to walk, play fetch, frisbee or any other energy expending activity?

I believe something scared him, and I don't want to push him, but I can tell what we are doing and this lower level of physical stimulation is not working, because his 'stress tells' are showing: stealing shoes, throwing cushions off the couch, 'herding' our other dog. And now this new biting behavior has surfaced and I don't want it to be 'hard coded'.

TLDR: My 7.5 month heeler is simultaneously overstimulated and under-exercised because he has become frightened of something and doesn't want to go on walks/hikes, refuses to play fetch or frisbee (will RUN to get it and then drop it or chew it or hide it) or even dig in our yard where he's allowed to. He is now exhibiting bad behaviors (nipping- sometimes HARD- the back of my right leg from hip to ankle, arm occasionally but less so). He has 'forgotten' every command we've taught him (except sit/down which he will sometimes do when he feels like it). This behavior began 3 days ago.

I'm truly at a loss. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

UPDATE 5/2: Yesterday afternoon, Rambo nipped my middle son (14 yrs old) when he got home from school. (My son said Rambo was jumping with excitement and he was told to 'sit'. When he did not, my son turned his back and Rambo nipped the back of his leg. My son then left the room). When I got home, we worked on some obedience, tug, etc. I tried to lure him into playing fetch by throwing a toy into the yard and having him 'bring it'. This worked maybe 3-4 times then he ran back into the house.

I waited an hour longer than usual to try to take Rambo out on a walk. I put his backpack on, and 'charged the clicker' with lil smokies and headed out the door. I also took his 'tug' toy in my pocket. I would click/treat any check-ins that he gave me and rewarded walking calmly beside me by letting him lick cheez whiz off my finger. We walked 20 minutes to some green space where I am able to let him off leash where we walked/played for around 20 minutes and then walked back home (had to head home early due to storms rolling in). NO issues whatsoever. Great manners, no nipping, attention and response. If he looked like he was getting stressed, we would stop and play tug for a few minutes and then continue walking.

This morning- SAME thing. We walked to a different green space on a 6- foot leash and then explored a more traveled area on a 30-foot leash for around 45 minutes. Went home and fed him out of a Kong Wobbler and then I did yoga while he chewed on a bone. NO nipping, NO issues. Still uninterested in retrieving in fetch/frisbee.

Completely bizarre.

I do have an appt with our vet to rule out any medical issues. Thank you all so much for your responses!

@lost_little_one Ok thank you- I wasn’t sure if this is some adolescent thing that Heelers do (quirky dogs), or if this was something more. All of our dogs have been rescues, but we’ve never had a puppy/teenaged dog before.

@differentviews I have two. One from a puppy and one rehomed at 3 years old. The puppy is now 2.5 and didn't go through anything like you are describing. The 3 year old is a bit of a nipper, when he is excited, but is very compliant to voice commands. We just have to watch out for the sneak attack and tell him no or off before he makes contact. They are usually more like pokes and touches than all out bites. A friend of mine had a reactive lab and sent him away to a trainer, it made all the difference. It was not cheap but they are glad they did it. Your dog's behavior sounds like more than a quirk.

@maldavos Yes, I have an appointment with the vet today- I was hoping to get him checked out and then see if they have a reference/referral they can give me for a behavioral trainer if there isn't a medical issue

@differentviews I do agree with the other commenters. I would get a vet checkup first and then a trainer if the vet says there are no health issues.

When my ACD turned 9 or 10 months, her behavior started changing. It was similar to what you are describing, but it didn’t happen so abruptly. She got very stubborn, occasionally “forgetting” commands, nipping more often, and being reactive to other dogs and people. Absolutely nothing would tire her out either.

My dog is almost 2 now and while the biting and obeying of commands has gotten better, she’s still reactive. I wish we had gotten a trainer as soon as the behaviors appeared.

Back