[HELP] 7 y/o F dog trying to nibble 1 m/o M kitten

robo23

Hello everyone; the title sums this all up.

I have a 7 y/o F Shepherd mix (coloring is white with a few brown patches and freckles, breed unknown). She weighs 55 lbs. I got her from a shelter 1 year ago.

She is very skittish, but very friendly. She tries to go up to people, but will spook if they try to pet her. In all honesty, she really only likes about 7 people. The people she does like, she acts like an excitable Golden around. She likes to give hugs.

My roommate, who she has lived with as long as she has lived with me, absolutely terrifies her. He still can’t get close to her.

Most other dogs scare her, too. Aforementioned “scary” roommate has a 1 y/o F Beagle-Black Lab mix, who she adores. They play together every day, and have a WWE Smackdown on my bed all the time. She is not like that with any other animal.

My other roommate recently got a 1 m/o M kitten. My dog has met cats a few times, and is generally just confused. She often cries and tries to get close to them, at which they bat at her nose and she runs away.

With this kitten, however, she has often tried to nibble at him. After watching her do this multiple times (he picks up the kitten and I grab the dog’s Martingale collar and hold her close to me so she can’t follow the cat), I have noticed she goes for his butt. The two of them have sniffed each other there before and been fine.

I would assume her instincts and intentions were benign if she was going for the back of his neck, as if to pick him up. However, going for the back half of his tiny body was noticeable.

Is this something we should be concerned about? We are trying to introduce them to each other slowly, with the dog on the floor and the cat on the bed. The cat often jumps down to sniff the dog, but only when she is laying down.

Should we keep them separate until the kitten is bigger? As he’s only 1 m/o, his body is about the size of a mango. My dog is 55 lbs, for ref.

@robo23 Yes. Definitely let the cat get bigger. Closely supervise any interaction between them. I used to have a dog who gave my one cat what we called slobber head. He'd chew on her/ groom her but gently, like he was chewing an itch. The cat certainly liked it and would seek it out but it was somewhat disturbing to watch. Looked like the dog was eating her, then the cat would be wet and yucky.

@wolste99 Similar experience here. My dog had recently weaned a litter of puppies when we got a kitten. The dog would groom the poor kitty whenever she got the chance. But no physical harm done. The kitty did move himself permanently to our neighbor’s house when he got older!

@wolste99 Update! The cat has gotten pretty big now. He’s started to come up and lay on the dog’s front paws when she’s laying down. The dog still likes to lick and groom him, but it seems like he enjoys it? At least until he bops her face and runs away. They are very comfortable with each other now, and I did follow your advice!