Has anyone else noticed this?

ked91

I’m not intending on bashing anyone or any group. Something i’ve noticed since becoming more active in dog training spheres is the rudeness towards aversive tool users in ff and pos-r only groups. Is this a trend with all training communities? It’s frustrating when it prevents me from being able to interact with certain communities due to how rejected e-collars are (low stim for recall, pos-r for everything else in my case). My dog’s e-collar keeps him safe and that is why I use it.

I understand that e-collars are a touchy subject but when you aren’t even willing to learn about how it works/why i use it it can become draining.

(If this post breaks any rules please take it down. I read through them and I don’t think it does. I am in no way trying to start anything with anyone, I’m just wondering if anyone else has noticed this)

@ked91 The training community is pretty fractured and online spaces amplify that. The internet is full of dicks who argue just to argue. FF dicks will act like using a prong collar is tantamount to punching your dog and balanced dicks will act like FF trainers would rather euthanize a dog than say the word "no".

I heavily curate my feed to maintain sanity.

@ked91 I train at a dog training club that does not use aversive methods. They also do not allow you to have the dog on a prong or e-collar in the ring. It’s their facility, I’m paying them for their advice and they have success in the sports they compete in so who am I to tell them how to train? I knew their methods when I gave them my money and decided to give them a try.

That being said, they know I use an e-collar for recall and used it to teach and refine obedience. Nobody has ever been rude to me or try to tell me it’s wrong. They haven’t asked for advice either but I’m not there to be an instructor. A lady in our flyball class keeps her cattle dog on a prong collar between runs. The only thing the instructor said to her about it was to ask her to take it off and switch to a flat collar or martingale before bringing him into the ring to work. He’s been doing great on the groundwork exercises, which are all off leash anyway.

Rudeness gets nowhere.

@crossnote I got bashed by +R only ppl before for using martingales. But it's buckleless and one piece, the only collar I trust enough for my dog to not break or slip her head out of. Both have happened before when she was going banana lol

@ked91
Is this a trend with all training communities

Um, it's a trend in humans who make cliques. Trust me, as someone who genuinely hangs out in the middle, the FF and 'balanced' groups both sling mud equally. There isn't a day that goes by that both groups don't come across my various social feeds starting something. I've heavily moderated my feed so I don't see most of it these days, but humans are echo-chamber loving creatures.

@doks Totally agree it goes both ways. Some FF people call aversives abuse and some balanced trainers call FF cookie pushing and bribing. Both come from a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of each other. I will say there’s probably a bit more push back from FF because their methods do not include balanced ones where as good balance does include R+.

While I’m not in a place where I want to use tools right now, I have found a lot of value in educating myself about them and surrounding myself with people who use them right. Frankly the debate is tiresome because everyone is using bad examples of the other side to prove their point. People need to just call out bad trainers for bad training and not the label which they might call themselves.

Back