Good news!

markat

More of an update, but I’m new to Reddit still (had my account for a while, but didn’t start using it till the past few months) so I don’t know how to include the previous posts I’ve made.
  1. My staffy pittie terrior is getting more used to the apartment complex that we just moved into.
  2. I have more of routine going for her. (I have to get up at 5 in the morning to walk her in the park when no one is there, and luckily no one walks in the early evening.)
  3. She’s finally pooping on her walks and not at my friends backyard. (Trust me, i thought it was weird too)
  4. There’s less barking.
  5. Less reactive to people walking by her, and ignores other dogs on her walks when we see one.
  6. We’re able to go through the drive-thru without her losing her mind. She’s whines like crazy because she knows there’s a pup cup involved.
  7. So many new toys & mental stimulation.
  8. She’s able to respond to me outside and does little tricks for treats (sit, heel, paw, let’s go, sidewalk, and circle)
  9. Smiles a big smile when I roll down windows on car rides and doesn’t bark at people or try to jump out to get squirrels. (Don’t worry, she has a seatbelt to keep her strapped in)
  10. Taking naps all over the apartment because she’s getting comfortable being on her own.
We are still going to a trainer to help her improve confidence around people and not be scared.

Basically, all this to say, what I have learned as a new dog owner (specifically to a very reactive dog), is it takes time. All the people who helped and advised me on here, thank you so much. I’m very grateful for it all. To everyone else who is going thru this process, keep going, and be patient. Time is everything. Stay in tune with your dog, learn as much as you can. I know there are some situations that feel hopeless and overwhelming. Be confident in yourself and your dog will grow with you.

Again, I’m very grateful for this space here. So thank y’all.

Very excited for what the future brings for us.

@markat So happy for you! Don’t be surprised if there are some setbacks on the way .. it’s normal and if you keep doing what you’re doing you’ll be fine! Congratulations! We have our first reactive dog (got her in 2015) .. five dogs before her were so easy. It was definitely a learning curve but I know we are better dog owners after the training we’ve had because of her! Best of luck!

@markat Dammit I wasn’t ready for happy tears!!! This is huge progress.
One thing that kept my busy foster mentally stimulated in my apartment (pittie) was the Kong wobbler, anything from sodapup. He was an aggressive chewer and both kept him happy and enriched.
Also took him on field trips to really remote areas so he could just chill. Took poor buddy a minute to realize it wasn’t to leave him.

Back