Giving my dog a bath every two weeks? V stinky

fenhn

Hey guys, I have a 11 month Aussie girl and I live in a high rise apartment in Chicago (we live 5 minutes away from the beach and multiple dog parks). As a result, we go to the dog park or beach once or twice a day, where she likes to roll in mud, sand, and sprint at full speed in the dirt.

I try not to wash her as much as I can, but I use a high quality shampoo and conditioner. I try to aim for every 2 or 3 weeks. That being said, some days she’s completely brown from mud and I give her a full shower (my apartment has free dog spas and grooming stations). Also, as much as I hate to admit, I absolutely can’t stand the dog smell (she usually smells like ‘dog’ after a week and a half from her most recent shower). And no, it isn’t her specifically, but all dogs give off a dog scent that I can’t stand. If she isn’t too messy, I’ll generally rinse down her paws and belly with water. Otherwise, just wiping her paws every time she comes back in the house.

How frequently do you guys take your dog to a shower? And if so, is a wash every 2-3 weeks ok?

@skupi With the coat of my dog it's hard to get water to the skin to begin with. He has fur like a raincoat, it just runs off on the sides, undercoat still dry somehow 😶

@alive22 That's how they're designed! You have to really really drench them to get the undercoat wet. Only really necessary when they're stinky 😅

@skupi Yeah, you're absolutely right. Somehow I manage, but it really takes some effort lol. Not only does he have a double coat, he also has long-ish fur (tibetan terrier mix). I usually give him the thorough wash around once a month and just shower him down with water otherwise, just so I can get the dirt out.

@alive22 This is why I love the Dog Wash at the car wash - the water and soap come out together, which halves the time it takes to soak him.

Plus, they have a wet vac to get the excess water out before blow drying.

@marjihealing Agreed on this! ☝️make sure to give the pup lots of treats and praise as you use a velocity or force dryer to make sure they like it. Take it slow at first and careful to not blow it in their ears. You can get it fairly close to the skin but careful with the heat as well. There are a ton of Aussie grooming YouTube videos you can look up too. Sandollar Aussies has an entire series on grooming for example. Shelandy dryers are bargain ones available in amazon if you’re not wanting to break the bank on professional grooming tools. The other benefit of the force dryer is it blows out all the loose fur while they are shedding!

@sukhbataar Hydra, isle of dogs, hemp pets, Lillian ruff, south bark are just to name a few good brands and companies that disclose ingredients. Which I find is important to be transparent about products being used on our pets.

Back