Getting a 5 month puppy need advice on what to feed him

kostak

Hi y’all my mom and I are gonna adopt a 5 month puppy soon and I’m not quite sure what to feed him since I haven’t had a puppy since I was 7 for reference I feed my current dog the Kirkland brand dog food that’s the lamb rice and veggie formula. I’d really appreciate it if you guys could point me In the right direction !

@kostak If it's a large breed freed a large breed puppy formula, otherwise a regular puppy formula is good. Kirkland puppy is fine and Purina Pro Plan puppy or for a cheaper option Purina One puppy.

@kimmarqy Alright thank you so much he’s a Maltese I also don’t know if I can add supplements to his food yet or not? My current dog gets pumpkin pure and goat Keffer would that upset his tummy? Thanks again!

@kostak You can try a little in the beginning and see if it agrees with him but ultimately I would ask your vet about adding anything in the food. Puppy food is specially formulated to have everything a growing puppy would need so normally you don't need to supplement anything unless the vet recommends it.

@kostak Whatever food you are considering, reach out to the company beforehand to ask about the copper content. There is an excess of copper added to all commercial dog food, so you want to find one with as little as possible. Copper associated hepatopathy (liver disease) is becoming increasingly common in dogs of all breeds and it can be fatal.