German Shepherd Separation Anxiety

tbkm

Hi all! I have a nearing-4 year old GSD named King. We got king when he was about 1.5-2 years old, from a family that didn't train him, and let their kids do whatever they pleased to him. Also, sorry for the lengthy post in advance!

My dogs and cats

In case I reference any of the names in this post, these are my dogs. I have 4 dogs and 2 cats. King the GSD, Dude the old pitbull mix, Charlie the Yorkie, and Peggy, the 3 legged Yorkie terrier, as well as Gemini the kitten and Momo the fat tuxedo cat (he doesn't do much). King and Charlie have a bad relationship. Charlie constantly antagonizes and tries to fight King, despite their size difference. For this reason, we have to keep them separated at all costs-or there will be blood.

Separation Anxiety

When we first got King, we started crate training him, like we have with all of our dogs. He does great in his crate, and will often go in it, even if I offer him my bed. But when he does take the chance to lay on my bed, he likes to chew my covers and pillows and such. He also destroys any all toys that he has. I've been trying to train him to not do that, and to behave a little bit more, but I'm lost as to how to stop him from chewing. I know that it's most likely due to his anxiety, because he only does it when I'm not looking at him or not in the same room as him.

Small dog-Big dog feud

King lays in his crate, and sometimes Charlie will run to the door and bark at him. Naturally, King will start barking back, either because he doesn't like him, he's defending his territory, or both. I've noticed now, that King will now bark at nothing because he is used to Charlie constantly antagonizing him, and I feel bad. It's like he has PTSD of it-if you understand what I mean by that. So, if you were in this situation, what would you do?

Leaving the room

When I leave the room, even if I only step 1 foot out of my door, King starts whining. When I leave for school, I can still hear him whining as I'm closing the door, and it makes me feel so bad for him. How can I make him feel safe and happy, knowing I will be coming back to him eventually?

King in the yard

Additionally, when King is in the yard, he is constantly barking at the "neighbors" (I live next to a convenience store, as well as a mechanic shop). He doesn't listen to me if I try to train him outside, and the only things I can get him to do are to come to me, and to sit. How would you go about getting him to stop barking at the "neighbors" as well as getting him to listen to me while outside.

King's friendships

Sometimes, if King is whining towards the end of the night, I'll let him out one more time before I go to bed. Usually whenever he does whine though, I let him outside and make sure he has food and water. This is when he runs to my kitchen or living room and finds his friend Gemini. An unlikely friendship, sure, but it is a friendship. King will climb on my couch and lay with the kitten, but often times I have to get him off because I'm not sure if he will start biting at the cushions and such-because if he did, I fear what my mom would do to me and King.

The relationships with King and my other animals are as follows: (n = don't get along, y = gets along)

King - Dude = Y

King - Charlie = NNNN

King - Peggy = Mostly Y, sometimes N if she's near my grandma(she's very protective of her)

King - Gemini = Y

King - Momo = Y/N, They don't really mind each other, but Momo has a bad temper and doesn't like to be bothered so if King comes near him, he hisses. No fights come of it though.

Final Questions

How can I help King overcome his separation anxiety? Pheromone Collars?

How can I get King to stop chewing and destroying my bed, as well as his toys?

What is the best course of action regarding King and Charlie?

How can I get King to listen to me while he's in the yard, as well as stop barking at the neighbors?

What does normal Dog and Cat play look like? I certainly don't have a problem with them being friends, but I want to know how much is too much and when I need to intervene

Last but not least, thank you so much for reading my post, as well as a big thank you for any and all help you can give me!

One last thing; I don't know is this is specific to my dogs behavior, but King likes to flip his food bowl over and sometimes water bowl over, and eat off the ground. Is this normal?

@tbkm The number 1 most important thing here in my opinion is how much exercise is he getting? GSDs need a Lot of exercise, hours worth, every day. If they don’t, they get behavioral problems. They’re working dogs, unlike many other breeds. They also need mental stimulation every day. They need a job that makes them think. Do you provide that for yours?

@thehallelujahhollerer He likes to run around in play in our yard with Dude, the pitbull. I’ll often-if I’m not busy- go out and play with him, chase him around, pet him and such. What kind of mental stimulation should I give him? I’m sure he gets some, but I’m not sure how much. I like to chase him in circles around a car, and switch up the rotation to catch him off guard and keep him guessing, but what else could I do? Thanks for the reply

@tbkm Playing with him is a really good start, it’ll help him burn off any extra energy he’s got built up. But some things you can do to keep him occupied mentally are training games. So like teaching him to sit, paw, etc (rewards and treats when he does it well!). Something that’s worked well with my boy is a destruction box. Basically if you get a package come through, keep the cardboard, pack it out with something harmless (no choking hazards, things they shouldn’t eat, etc) and hide some of his favourites treats inside the box. The idea is to get him thinking and working for the treats, but it also means he gets something he’s allowed to destroy, which should help with the chewing pillows. The reality is that dogs will chew, and it isn’t necessarily them misbehaving (it can be but not always) and the important thing is when they chew something they aren’t supposed to, don’t scold but give them something they’re allowed to chew like these boxes or toys. When we adopted my dog (about 5 or 6 years old) he tried to chew things he shouldn’t but we just got him to chew his toys and that seems to have worked.

Edit: picture of my dog, just for fun

@y0ung1996 First off, I’d just like to say, beautiful dog!
Thanks for the tips! The destruction box sounds like a great idea, and I have tons of boxes left over from Christmas packages. Do you have any pictures of these boxes? What should I put in there besides treats? Should I put stuff in there to completely fill the empty space?

@tbkm I don’t have any pictures to hand but I basically just pack it out with bits of cardboard and or a bit of newspaper. Doesn’t have to be completely full just enough to hide the treats! You can also tuck treats back under the flaps of the box when you close it back up for extra difficulty. The main thing is not to pack it with bubble wrap, plastic bags etc as these will risk him choking. Basically if you’re happy for him to rip it up in search of treats then it can be used to pack the box!

Back