Formula change to PPP SSS Salmon and Rice- no probiotics anymore

tanj

Does anyone know why Purina changed the PPP SSS Salmon and Rice formula to be almost the same formula but no probiotics anymore and a slightly lower calorie count?

My dog has been doing well on this food, but the most recent bag I received has a different label that states a new formula. The food looks a bit lighter in color and my dog seems to like it the same, but I am disappointed that they have taken the probiotics out. Has anyone else noticed a difference? I see a lot of recent negative reviews for this new formula.

Old Ingredient List:

INGREDIENTS: Salmon, barley, rice, oat meal, canola meal, fish meal (source of glucosamine), beef fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, salmon meal (source of glucosamine), dried yeast, natural flavor, sunflower oil, chicory root inulin, fish oil, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, salt, potassium chloride, DL- Methionine, VITAMINS [Vitamin E supplement, niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), folic acid (Vitamin B-9), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (Vitamin K), Vitamin D-3 supplement, biotin (Vitamin B-7)], calcium carbonate, MINERALS [zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Vitamin C), dried Bacillus coagulans fermentation product.

New Ingredient List:

INGREDIENTS: Salmon, rice, barley, canola meal, oat meal, fish meal, salmon meal, beef fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, dried yeast, natural flavor, sunflower oil, fish oil, dried chicory root, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, VITAMINS [Vitamin E supplement, niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid (Vitamin B-9), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (Vitamin K), biotin (Vitamin B-7), Vitamin D-3 supplement], taurine, MINERALS [zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], DL-Methionine, choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Vitamin C).

@tanj Yes, they are reformulating this one to take probiotics out because of continued supply chain issues -- they haven't been able to reliably secure a long-term supply chain.

It's certainly frustrating, but my dog did well on the old formula and the new one so hoping the transition will be smooth.

I recommend folks wth dogs who are more sensitive get a new bag with a couple weeks left on the old one and do a slow 1-2 week transition to the new formula.

@sevilodorf Interesting. I wonder if they will be changing all of the Pro Plan formulas since most (or maybe all) of the other PPP formulas are still listed as having probiotics.

@tanj Yes. I do. I just emailed them about it and they basically said that the prebiotics they use are hard to get currently and to ensure product availability they decided to take the ingredient out for now.

Back